Bathtub only for a tarp

Posted by: toddfw2003

Bathtub only for a tarp - 01/17/17 04:47 PM

I recently,purchased a SMD Deschutes Plus. Does someone just make a bathtub floor kinda like a bucket without the bug net. In case I have a river under my tarp. I know placement it important but sometimes you cant pitch on a hill especially where I live
Posted by: hikerduane

Re: Bathtub only for a tarp - 01/24/17 01:55 PM

I sold my shaped tarp, bivy after one five day trip. Little protection from flowing water, unable to properly set up on slight slopes to put the back to the wind when needed. I use a Zpacks Solplex now, nice bathtub bottom. Limited space, but only 19 oz with stakes and poles.
Duane

Re: Bathtub only for a tarp - 01/24/17 05:15 PM

I saw on zpacks page that they make a bathtub only. Bear Paw wilderness designs sells them too. A little on the heavy side though. I think I can make something out of my Tyvek ground sheet that will work. Also I notices since I have a SMD Deschutes plus I can run the tyvek a little ways up the bug netting which creates a bathtub effect. I wont know until I camp in a good down pour. For those who dont know the Deschute plus has bug netting around the edge

Re: Bathtub only for a tarp - 01/25/17 12:09 PM

I need to shop shelters again, hoping to get another dog this Spring.
Duane

Re: Bathtub only for a tarp - 01/26/17 09:29 AM

The SMD deschute plus is big enough for your dog. I am 6'4 and me and my dog have plenty of room. They are only 175 and weigh a pound but you have to buy it from antigravity gear

Re: Bathtub only for a tarp - 02/07/17 11:10 AM

The issue I have with many shelters is they require trekking poles, I don't use them.
Duane
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Bathtub only for a tarp - 02/07/17 01:14 PM

All the manufacturers of trekking-pole-supported tents and tarps that I've bought or looked at sell separate poles for those who don't use trekking poles or, like me, do base-camp type trips where we need the trekking poles for day hiking. Examples:
Tarptent
Six Moon Designs
ZPacks

ZPacks has carbon fiber poles in multiple lengths ranging rom 22" to 58". They tell you how to shorten them for a custom fit.

Re: Bathtub only for a tarp - 02/08/17 12:11 AM

I second what OregonMouse says. Those listed sites provide a light weight pole to use in its place
Posted by: BrianLe

Re: Bathtub only for a tarp - 02/08/17 12:42 PM

Google the phrase "solo bug tent".

Bug tents are often combined with a tarp to create something akin to a full tent experience. The bug tent can be put up alone when bugs are, well, bugging you, or you can put up just the tarp. Some bug tents are designed to work (to clip into) certain tarps.

My personal experience with a couple of bug tents is that they offer very little room inside. Typically you put a lot of your stuff under the tarp but outside of the bug netting. Overall I found this approach to be a bit of a PITA, but it does offer some advantages.

And in answer to the initial question --- typically they do offer some sort of bathtub like floor, though check to make sure how much they promise in terms of being water resistant or 'proof'.

Re: Bathtub only for a tarp - 02/08/17 06:45 PM

I dont want to bug tent. My tarp a Six Moon Designs Deshutes Plus which comes with bug netting around the edges. I was just looking for the bath rub only. I can get the bug net and bathtub floor from six moon designs. One actually goes with it but its 12 oz. I can roll the polycro up the sides of the bug netting and it will act as a bath tub. Zpack also sells one made out of cuben fiber. Its 4 or 5 oz. I have to find out in heavy rain if the polycro will work