UL Daypack or hip pack.

Posted by: AlanL

UL Daypack or hip pack. - 04/04/16 10:50 PM

I'd like to pick up a UL day pack or waist pack.

I should be able to carry 1L of water and lunch for 2-3 people. Maybe 6lbs? So the bag should be 5L+

Prioritizes

#1 Weight.
#2 If day pack must have 2 shoulder straps
#3 Don't need any frills just a simple one pocket bag.
#4 < $100. Bounce points if under $50. Triple bonus points if < $35.

I was looking at the Sea-to-summit Ultra-sil. Its less than 2.4 ounces which is good but on the lager side at 20L. Was hoping for something smaller / lighter.

Suggestions?
Here is the StS.
https://www.rei.com/product/867165/sea-to-summit-ultra-sil-daypack
Posted by: Slowfoot

Re: UL Daypack or hip pack. - 04/05/16 09:04 AM

Not lighter, but the Black Diamond BBEE 11 should be smaller. I have an older BD pack that is similar, which I like for day hikes when I don't need too much stuff. The BBEE seems to have a padded back panel which mine doesn't, but I usually add a small piece of blue foam for some structure, which is also a sit pad. BD is a climbing company so they tend to use more durable fabrics. I don't really need that much durability, but I also don't care that much about a few extra ounces for a day hike when I'm not carrying much weight anyway.

There is also the Gossamer Gear Riksak 17, which seems to be heavier than the Sea to Summit, but maybe a little smaller.

The ZPacks Zero is 3.5 oz and 16 liters.

When 3.5 oz is too heavy, you need the help of the SUL forums on Backpacking Light. I recall someone who make a "pack" that was 1 oz by sewing it to his shirt so he didn't need a back panel. You have to get creative at those low weights.
Posted by: wandering_daisy

Re: UL Daypack or hip pack. - 04/05/16 11:40 AM

Depends on how you use the pack. If it will be a day pack to be used on side-trips while backpacking, there are stuff sacks for your sleeping bag that have shoulder straps - multiple us is good. If it is a dedicated day-pack I really see no need to worry about an ounce or two. A little too big is OK. Never know when you will need a bit more room.

If on the other hand, you trail run, then you need a pack that fits snugly and smaller is better. Even though heavier, trail runners and bicyclists seem to prefer Camelbacks.

You may consider getting a water bottle carrier that slips onto your belt (if you wear a belt) to carry the water bottle and just stuff the food in pockets.

For me a day-pack must carry more. I never go without rain gear and an extra insulating layer. I am pretty big on the idea of the "ten essentials". Day hikers who take too little are at more risk for hypothermia than backpackers who have their gear with them at all times.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: UL Daypack or hip pack. - 04/05/16 12:30 PM

I so agree! Any small incident can easily turn a dayhike into an unplanned overnighter--taking a wrong turn, misjudging your time, the onset of nasty weather with zero visibility, sprained ankle, you name it. It happens a lot in the NW Oregon area, especially in the Columbia River Gorge which seems to attract inexperienced hikers who don't plan.

The idea is that if you get stuck, you can stay fairly dry and warm, although not necessarily comfortable, during the night, and be able to navigate yourself back to your car the next morning. That's what those "Essentials" are for.

The stuff doesn't have to be heavy or bulky, but it should be part of your dayhike kit.

Re: UL Daypack or hip pack. - 04/05/16 01:04 PM

Its for use while multi-day backpacking and will reside in my backpack between camp spots. We tend to stay in one spot for a few days and the day-hike for lunch. This is not a bag I'd take out on a day hike that is not park of a bigger overnight trip.

This bag will replace a waist pack. It's probably 2-3L and holds 2 750ml water bottles. Its plenty big it's just cheap and heavy - 14-16 Oz. I'd be happy replacing it with something that same size but much lighter.

I'm not to concerned with durability either. I'm pretty careful and care more about weight.

Re: UL Daypack or hip pack. - 04/12/16 03:59 PM

I picked up the Sea-to-Summit Ultra-Sil Daypack. Its pretty much exactly what I had in mind. It comes in a little baggie that's just a touch larger than a golf ball. Very lite (2.4oz). Holds everything I want to take when day hiking from camp... Plus the price was right.
Posted by: Geojanitor

Re: UL Daypack or hip pack. - 04/29/16 04:12 PM

I have used Mountainsmith Lumbar Series Day packs for years. They are not the lightest pack around but they last and they last. Mine is over 15 years old and I still use it for everyday hikes except for winter snowhoeing. Its capacity is perfect for the 10 essentals, water bottles, lunch and a small stove and pot that I always take to make tea. I really like the way it sits low on my waist. No sweaty backs and a low center of gravity for bushwacking.
Posted by: bobito9

Re: UL Daypack or hip pack. - 04/29/16 11:49 PM

When I'm backpacking and want to bring a daypack with me for my dayhikes, I bring my REI Flash 18, or Flash 22 when I want to carry more stuff. They aren't the greatest daypacks per se, but they are reasonably comfortable and light, and they double as stuffsacks for backpacking days. They have both a sternum strap and a waist strap, which I personally find essential: more comfortable and also more stable when scrambling off trails. I think the 18 is 1100 cu inches and weighs 10 oz, the 22 is 1350 cu in and 14 oz.
I might look around at some other lighter options for the future, but I don't want to compromise on the sternum and waist straps.
Posted by: bobito9

Re: UL Daypack or hip pack. - 04/30/16 12:03 AM

I just looked at the specs for that Sea to Summit ultra sil: looks really nice, except for the lack of straps. I wonder if it could be modified, if it would be worth it?