Holy Grail Jacket Recommendation..

Posted by: reedmg

Holy Grail Jacket Recommendation.. - 07/07/15 02:25 PM

First of all thanks for reading this, and any advice! I've been reading reviews and forums, watched YouTube reviews, been to REI, Patagonia, NorthFace outlets, but have largely been unsuccessful in finding a jacket a really love.

I'm looking for a jacket to keep me warmish/dry while I snowboard in the winter, and cool/dry when I hike in the warm, rainy spring/fall. My expectations may be too high, so I thought I would check here and get a reality check.

I like Westcomb's Apoc, but haven't been able to find as many reviews as some more well known brands, and don't want to make a $500 investment on a 5 year old jacket without being a little more sure.

I'm going to Alaska in two weeks and would like to test it out there since we'll be in a variety of different temptures/weather fishing some days, and checking out glaciers on others.

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
Posted by: aimless

Re: Holy Grail Jacket Recommendation.. - 07/07/15 03:45 PM

You'd like a jacket that keeps you warm when it is cold outside, cool when it is warm outside, dry when it is wet outside, and also dry when you are liable to be sweating? shocked

Your expectations are too high. This is why layering is recommended.

Have fun in Alaska and don't get eaten alive by the bugs. smile
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: Holy Grail Jacket Recommendation.. - 07/07/15 05:32 PM

And if you did know of such a jacket, which we would not hesitate to pay $700 for, what do you want to bet that the response to recommending it would be, "Well, I was really hoping to stay under $100..." smile Not that we've ever gotten that reaction on the boards...
Posted by: ETSU Pride

Re: Holy Grail Jacket Recommendation.. - 07/07/15 07:17 PM

My ex-girlfriend once said, "You have too many jackets." Women just don't get clothing....

Hey, welcome to the board and send pictures of epic adventure in Alaska!
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Holy Grail Jacket Recommendation.. - 07/07/15 09:06 PM

I think a windproof soft shell can anchor a system, but you'd also want a second insulation layer to add as needed, such as a Nanopuff vest.

Soft shells can handle a variety of settings, so long as it doesn't include driving rain.
Posted by: TomD

Re: Holy Grail Jacket Recommendation.. - 07/08/15 03:55 AM

I have a Marmot Bastione, a hard shell with a zip out synthetic liner. It would work for snowboarding, has a hood, is made of some proprietary breatheable fabric and will keep you dry. No idea what the lower temp range would be, but I would plan on a base layer and mid layer if it was going to be below freezing. Marmot has very good customer service, so you could call and ask. Retail is $300.