Which sleeping bag/tent might work for me?

Posted by: Danny347

Which sleeping bag/tent might work for me? - 06/29/15 03:44 AM

Hey everyone, I've been looking into getting some lightweight gear for an upcoming cycling trip as well as hiking in the Adirondacks. I'm looking into doing much longer trips this summer and as a result my ultimate priority is that my gear is as lightweight as possible. I'm not an expert in gear by any means and although I've investigated some of the threads on these boards, I find I'm a little overwhelmed with the options. I'm looking at getting a quality tent and sleeping bag right now and I don't mind paying a little more for something that will last me a while. I also anticipate that there will be rainy days ahead so something water resistant and gear that could ideally be used into the fall is important. Ultimately I would like to do a thru-hike of the PCT and although this may be years away, if I found lightweight gear that I could put towards that then that would be a plus too.

SO far I've been looking at a lot of the tarptent designs and western mountaineering sleeping bags. I'm only about 5'8 and weigh 155 lbs so I can fit into a lot of tight gear. If any of you have recommendations, please send em this way!
Posted by: snapper

Re: Which sleeping bag/tent might work for me? - 06/29/15 10:15 AM

I know you've mentioned tents but I'm wondering if you've consider a hammock? I'm about your height but weigh just over 200 pounds and find a hammock is great for me. It keeps you above the ground so you're not going to wake up wet and the comfort is sublime; although it does take a bit of fiddling to dial it in in the beginning. My hammock & tarp combination weigh less than a tent and I always have a place to sit so I don't need to bring anything extra there either. Add a bugnet (another 6-7 oz) and you've got a complete sleeping set-up for less than 2 pounds. Again, this is not what you asked about but wondered if you'd considered it. If not, you might like to check out the Hammock Forums to see/read all there is. You can also hit YouTube and check the videos made by Shug Emery. He's not only entertaining, his information is great for newbies and experienced folks alike.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

PS - I spend most of my time in the Adirondacks and know that hammocks work well there.
Posted by: BrianLe

Re: Which sleeping bag/tent might work for me? - 06/29/15 12:59 PM

My WM bags have been great. If buying today, I'd look into what's currently know about treated down, something that tends to not absorb moisture when it's humid. Barring that, an overstuffed WM Summerlite bag offers a pretty decently wide temperature range, though sometimes you just really need a 20F bag.

I'm a fan of the style of tent driven by the Lightheart Designs folks. They didn't invent that architecture, but brought it to the fore; Six Moon Designs, at least, also has a couple of similar entries. I've used my Lightheart Solo a great deal, and am still pleased with it.

That said, while I own two of Henry Shires tarptents, I've not looked at his more recent offerings.

Seems like a lot of folks are praising the various 'mids' (pyramid) tents, such as http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/index.php?cPath=47
I have no experience with these; perhaps I would like one of these even better (?)!
Posted by: Danny347

Re: Which sleeping bag/tent might work for me? - 07/03/15 01:56 PM

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I was wondering if some of you could comment on some of these other suggestions and compare if possible.

Teton sports ultra mountain
http://www.amazon.com/TETON-Sports-Mount...uct_top?ie=UTF8

Eureka Solitaire
http://www.amazon.com/Eureka-Solitaire-T...+solitaire+tent

Marmot - Starlight 1P
http://www.backcountrygear.com/marmot-starlight-1p-#.VZbMPUaInYF

Would like some more feedback on these products (plus they are not overly expensive which is a bonus). Thanks!
Posted by: TomD

Re: Which sleeping bag/tent might work for me? - 07/03/15 08:43 PM

For me, the problem with the Solitaire and similar designs is that you can't sit up in them. I cycle toured with the original SD Flashlight, a two person tent that weighed about 4 lbs. Heavy by UL standards, but not for bicycle touring. Today, I'd look at the Lightheart, Tarptent or similar designs. The Teton tent, I'm not familiar with the brand, but dome tents tend to be heavier. Get something with a vestibule, mine didn't have one. My winter tent does and I wouldn't want a tent without one.
There are a lot of quality bag choices. My first good bag was a TNF Cat's Meow. I now have two down bags, MacPac, a NZ brand, and a Marmot. For really wet weather, a good synthetic bag would be a good choice. Biking in the rain is no fun; been there, done that, so a good bag and shelter are really important.
Since you are in Canada, find a MEC store and look around.
Posted by: ETSU Pride

Re: Which sleeping bag/tent might work for me? - 07/05/15 02:29 PM

Tarptent makes cool tent, I like my Moments thus far but it's a little bit of a pain setting up when threading the pole through the sleeve. I've learned a trick to make it easier. Big Agnes make quality tent look into them as well i just wish they had more side door models.

I've never used WM bags, but is dying to try one out. I am still using a Mountain Hardwear sleeping bag from 2011 that weighs 2.14 pound for nights below freezing and a Enlightened Equipment quilt I have for nights above freezing.