Hilleberg Tents : Unna vs Rogen?

Posted by: Timby

Hilleberg Tents : Unna vs Rogen? - 06/22/15 02:25 PM

Hi all...

I bought a Hilleberg Unna recently (I like the two-pole design), but after receiving it and setting it up in my house, I realized (with help from discussions about it online) that it doesn't vent that well, since it seems designed to be able to handle extreme weather, especially snow-loads and such.

Since I don't plan on doing any winter camping, I wonder if I got "too much tent" for my needs. Hilleberg said they'd swap it for a different tent if I prefer, and I was looking at the Rogen as something that'd be better for the 3 season use I intend on putting it to (both car camping and backcountry camping).

Does anyone have an opinion on these two tents?

- Tim
Posted by: BZH

Re: Hilleberg Tents : Unna vs Rogen? - 06/22/15 06:59 PM

I don't have any direct experience with either of these tents, I just mention vague notions I seem to recall from reading reviews. (Take my comments with a grain of salt)

Yes I think you bought too much tent if you got an Unna for 3-season use. The Rogen is a 2-person tent... the unna is a 1-person tent. What do you want? I seem to recall some pretty positive comments about the Ahkto... which is also a 1-person tent... it seems more comparable to an Unna

Posted by: TomD

Re: Hilleberg Tents : Unna vs Rogen? - 06/23/15 02:31 AM

I'm with BZH-no direct experience, but Hilleberg is known for its winter tents. If you just need a tent for mild weather, there are dozens of them, many much cheaper and lighter than Hilleberg. I never discourage buying the best you can afford, but you can overbuy when it comes to a lot of gear. My tent is a winter convertible with big mesh panels that can be closed with solid flaps for bad weather. Too heavy for 3 season use, but suits my purpose just fine. My point is that with so many choices, if you know how you are going to use your shelter, you can make a better informed choice. Btw, the Akto is a winter tent, too.
If you look through the gear guide to the left, you will see many other tents that might suit your needs at various price points.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Hilleberg Tents : Unna vs Rogen? - 06/23/15 11:11 AM

Unless you are mountaineering in horrific weather conditions, I agree with Tom that for most 3 season use, Hilleberg tents are overkill. They are designed for the Arctic. If you're not camping in similar conditions, I'd suggest something lighter and probably less pricey.

Check out tents by Tarptent, Six Moon Designs, Lightheart Gear as well as the ones listed here on the left side.