Weighed my gear today

Posted by: mimstrel

Weighed my gear today - 05/30/15 11:36 PM

I still have a couple of items to buy before I'm trail ready, but today I loaded up my pack to weigh it. Really unscientifically - I stepped on the bathroom scale without the pack, then put the pack on and subtracted. So I'll say my margin of error is +/- a pound.

What I've got:

Osprey Kestrel 38 pack
Enlightened Equipment quilt with a compressible dry bag
ALPS Mountaineering Mystique 1 (stripped down to just what I actually use)
stove with a dozen solid fuel tabs and a set of strike-anywhere matches (the stove can also be used with a small wood fire or an alcohol burner)
600mL pot and titanium spork
multi-tool
Sawyer Mini water filter and bladders
First aid kit (base kit is an REI kit, then I modified it based on my preferences and training - also includes survival items like an emergency blanket and whistle)
a couple of extra dry bags
A spade for cat hole digging
Extra paracord
camp towel

To round out my base weight, I'm planning to add a sleeping pad, a couple of clothing items, a pot holder of some sort, a flashlight and spare batteries, and compass.
But so far, according to both rough calculations and the aforementioned unscientific weighing method, I've got just under 10 lbs. I think my base weight will end up being 12 or 13lbs.

This seems suspiciously light to me. I worry that I forgot something... but I have shelter, a sleeping system, a cook system, a first aid kit, water purification and storage, and basic hygiene. I'll have the 10 essentials once I include consumables and trip-specific items (map!).

Hopefully nobody looks at my list and goes, "You dummy, you forgot (heavy/bulky but very important item)!" because I'm pretty happy with the idea of a 13lb base weight.
Posted by: ETSU Pride

Re: Weighed my gear today - 05/31/15 12:18 AM

Ditch the spade and use your trekking pole or nearby stick if you hike without one. What with the extra dry bag? I only carry one.. Sounds like you're on the right track. But if you want me someone to say it: you big dummy you forgot the bourbon!! grin

Re: Weighed my gear today - 05/31/15 01:04 AM

Well, I don't use trekking poles and I don't drink.

(Also bourbon would be a consumable... if I drank. Why am I carrying it again?)

The extra dry bags will either be used (for instance, I'll put my extra clothes in one and use it as a pillow) or left home. But I tossed them in today because I wasn't looking to underestimate the weight on my current gear.

I can toss the spade in my sack of random camping stuff that doesn't need to go backpacking, no problem.
Posted by: BrianLe

Re: Weighed my gear today - 05/31/15 03:15 AM

I find that generally when I look at gear lists, I find things that are missing, IF I'm looking at them for completeness (I generally don't: it's a fair bit of effort).

You might want to look at several other packing lists (there are many public lists to be found) and then decide from those if your list is really "complete".

You list 12 items. I typically have 100 or so --- admittedly not everyone lists things to the same level of granularity. So for example, in my list I have toothbrush and tooth powder as one item, but floss as a separate item (it's also repair gear, along with a needle, which is a separate item for me). Certainly no single "right" way to do this.

I suggest that you pack up and go on an actual trip, short or long, and then you'll find out for sure what your real packing list includes. The "stand on bathroom scale with and without pack" is a fine approach if you don't want to geek out with spreadsheet and weigh individual items to the gram.

What I use for trips that I lead is a simple spring scale --- these aren't expensive. The most accurate reading (i.e., what people are really carrying) is made at the trailhead.

Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Weighed my gear today - 05/31/15 11:09 AM

One item to drop is the multitool...there is nothing in your pack that you can fix with a screwdriver, pliers, or bottle opener. Stick with a tiny sewing kit instead.

Go with a headlamp instead of a flashlight, and both it and the batteries will be smaller and lighter.

And the camp towel will work as a potholder...as will an essential piece of equipment, your bandana.

Re: Weighed my gear today - 05/31/15 01:01 PM

Personally I keep floss, pins, and so on in my first aid kit as "survival items." Not all survival items are for emergency use only! And even though my toothbrush is technically not consumable, I'm counting it as such along with sunscreen, bug protection, etc.

Bandanas are wearables, so get counted in with the clothing items.

Generally, though, it sounds like I'm not leaving out anything super obvious and important. I'm doing short trips, and pretty much as long as I've got the basics, I can improvise or go without pretty much anything for three days.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Weighed my gear today - 05/31/15 04:02 PM

A couple overnight trips will really tell you what you need to add, and what you can ditch.
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: Weighed my gear today - 05/31/15 04:55 PM

For digging, take a look at something like the MSR Blizzard stake. It's wide enough to dig with, and if you want a "padded" handle, just wrap 20 or 30 feet of spare utility cord around it (assuming you carry a length of spare utility cord.) It can also double as a spare tent stake, in the rare occasions you need one, or lost one.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Weighed my gear today - 05/31/15 05:20 PM

I agree with Glenn on the digging tool! A snow stake is ideal!