Tent Decision

Posted by: Indy

Tent Decision - 01/27/15 03:50 PM

I've saved my change, leftover lunch money, Christmas money, and anything I find when doing laundry, and I finally have enough to upgrade my tent.

Currently I have an older model Eureka Solitaire 1p (seen on the left in this picture).

I have about $250 to spend. I'm looking to upgrade in quality and drop weight and bulk.

I've narrowed the decision down to 2 options, pending anything you all come up with that beats either of these.

1. Tarptent Contrail w/ footprint, trekking pole adapters and footprint. <-- clicky link to mfg product page
2. Big Sky Wisp 1p base model w/ footprint, guylines, and tent bag. <-- clicky link to mfg product page

I'm going ahead and getting the accessories, even though I may not be using them ever. This tent will 99% of the time be used at the Grand Canyon, but it may get used around here (Indiana) if the opportunity arises.

Hopefully I've provided enough data to get an assist on making this 1st BIG item purchase. Can I get some thoughts/concerns/advice on this?
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Tent Decision - 01/27/15 04:28 PM

I have never used a footprint with my lightweight tents, just checked the tent site to remove rocks, sticks, pine cones before pitching (you need to do this whether or not you have a footprint). That will save weight, too. If you think you absolutely must have a footprint, get a painter's plastic dropcloth and cut to fit, about 2" smaller than the tent floor on each side. Or, more durable, the polycro plastic used for storm windows/doors. Either is lighter and cheaper than tyvek.

I have used several Tarptents, although not the Contrail. They are excellent quality and customer service is outstanding.

I have no familiarity at all with Big Sky tents.

If it makes any difference to you, Tarptents are made in the USA, while Big Sky's, I understand, are made in Asia.

One thing I'd do before deciding is to take the manufacturer's dimensions for each (from their websites) and do a mockup of each on the floor using masking tape, string and strategically placed furniture. Then crawl inside and see how much room you have.

There's a new version of the Contrail coming out, called the ProTrail , for which you might want to wait--it's supposed to be available next month. IMHO, the rear end looks like a definite improvement over the Contrail.
Posted by: AdventureMyk

Re: Tent Decision - 01/27/15 04:45 PM

+1 on the TarpTents. I have seen a few in use around the Appalachian Trail and am looking at one myself.

I never new they made a Solitaire in blue? Mine is yellow/grey and has been used several times not that you could ever tell. Eureka's may be a little heavy but they just don't wear out. lol
Posted by: 4evrplan

Re: Tent Decision - 01/28/15 11:13 AM

I like OM's idea of mocking up the tent at home. It's really important to make sure nothing that needs to stay dry is going to touch the sides of a single wall tent.
Posted by: BZH

Re: Tent Decision - 01/28/15 11:33 AM

I have a tarptent and love it. I've never used a Big Sky tent. Big sky had some production issues which turned into customer services issues when they first started many years ago. This has left a bad taste in many peoples mouths. However, I have heard only positive comments from those who have ordered recently (past couple years).

I think you will probably be happy with which ever tent you choose.

Re: Tent Decision - 01/28/15 11:41 AM

Originally Posted By OregonMouse

[snip]

If it makes any difference to you, Tarptents are made in the USA, while Big Sky's, I understand, are made in Asia.

[snip]

There's a new version of the Contrail coming out, called the ProTrail , for which you might want to wait--it's supposed to be available next month. IMHO, the rear end looks like a definite improvement over the Contrail.

I'm liking that ProTrail, and it sounds like Tarptents are the way to go. I'm in no hurry to purchase, since I have no trips planned and it's the middle of winter, so I can wait until it's available.

Thanks for the reassurance, folks, I'm looking forward to this one. I'm sure there will be another post later on when I decide which pack to choose.
thanks

Re: Tent Decision - 01/28/15 11:45 AM

Originally Posted By AdventureMyk
I never new they made a Solitaire in blue?

I'm only going by the tag. I bought it off a friend (the guy in the picture) for about $40 since I didn't have a tent, so all I have is the tent and its bag. I've never been able to find a picture of one like it, and I have no idea how long he had it before I bought it from him.

Re: Tent Decision - 01/28/15 12:00 PM

It looks like it's definitely a solitaire. It might just be an earlier version or they made them in more than one color. I just happen to like the blue better than my neon yellow version. smile
Posted by: hikerduane

Re: Tent Decision - 01/28/15 01:55 PM

I used my orginal TT, floorless Squall for quite a few trips. Really stood up to being used for a number of years. The netting took slight hits, had a few runs from whatever. Prone to condensation like many other shelters, just not much shoulder room when wet, kinda turns into a Eureka tent then, but for the lightweight, worth getting. Henry is a good man to deal with. Many of us wish he would put out a cuben fiber shelter.
Duane
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Tent Decision - 01/28/15 04:42 PM

Quote:
I like OM's idea of mocking up the tent at home.

The original idea came from Franco some years ago!
Posted by: ETSU Pride

Re: Tent Decision - 01/31/15 04:33 PM

What about considering Light Heart Tent ? I never used them, but I thought of selling my Tarp Tent for one. IMO you can't go wrong with Tarp Tent or Big Agnes, I've used both and like the quality.
Posted by: Gershon

Re: Tent Decision - 02/01/15 01:20 PM

Indy,

How do you like the Eureka Solitaire?

I saw some reviews about broken poles. Did you have any?

Thanks,

Gershon

Re: Tent Decision - 02/01/15 02:16 PM

Gershon, I've been playing with my Solitaire for some time now. Zero issues and no broken poles. There were complaints about the very early versions but they beefed them up a bit.

Re: Tent Decision - 02/02/15 05:07 PM

Originally Posted By Gershon
Indy,

How do you like the Eureka Solitaire?

I saw some reviews about broken poles. Did you have any?

Thanks,

Gershon

It's not a bad little setup. I've never had an issue with it, aside from getting my old and decrepit rear end into (and especially out of) the darned thing. All the seams are still solid, the poles function perfectly, nothing that I can find wrong with it. I have no idea how long Scott owned it before selling it to me, but I've had it since 2010, which I think was when that pic was taken.

I'll hold onto it for a spare, or foe when one of the kids want to go with me. I'm sure they'll be able to get in and out of it.

Re: Tent Decision - 03/25/15 10:18 AM

Thanks for the advice, everyone. This morning, I ordered up a Tarptent Protrail and a couple trekking pole adapters. Now I just need to find time and space to test drive it once it arrives.
Posted by: carbeque

Re: Tent Decision - 03/26/15 04:05 PM

I really like that Eureka! Especially the top entry... I wish they made it wide enough for my 8-year-old son and I. 28" is pretty narrow for two people not in the same sleeping bag (and on a 20" wide Nemo 3" thick air mattress).

I currently have a Hitec V-Lite 2, which fits two just fine and is under 2.5 pounds (and was only about $50), but is apparently horrible in the rain, has front-entry, bad ventilation, and no visibility outside when in the tent. I like to see what's going on, to the point that I was thinking about installing windows in each side of this tent... Just gotta figure out what my time is worth to me. ;-)
Posted by: topshot

Re: Tent Decision - 03/26/15 07:20 PM

Originally Posted By Indy
This tent will 99% of the time be used at the Grand Canyon, but it may get used around here (Indiana) if the opportunity arises.

I'm curious why you didn't go with a straight tarp then?

BTW, fellow Hoosier about an hour west.
Posted by: bluefish

Re: Tent Decision - 03/26/15 08:21 PM

Last year, for my first trip down into the GC, I solicited advice whether to tarp or tent. Pika steered me to take the tent and it was a great choice. We had some sideways rain and ants. The tent took care of both nicely, and added some privacy. It's going again with my wife and I in 4 days. Can't wait. Darn place is very addictive. I had a major Sierra monkey on my back that's been replaced with this Big Ditch jones. grin The Pro Trail looks like a nice piece of gear for 200. If my Fly Creek dies, TT will probably be my next home.
Posted by: Pika

Re: Tent Decision - 03/26/15 10:29 PM

Have a great trip. It has been warm and sunny in AZ so far this early spring and I hope it stays that way. I have four days planned in the Canyon. I'll go down the Boucher Trail and come out the Bright Angel Trail. I'll spend nights at Boucher Camp, Monument Creek and Horn Creek. I'm really looking forward to going.
Posted by: bluefish

Re: Tent Decision - 03/27/15 06:40 PM

We had one heck of a brutal winter with many consecutive below zero nights here in Vt., so the forecast for next week is very good to see. Thanks again for the info, Pika, it's much appreciated and valued.

Re: Tent Decision - 03/30/15 03:30 PM

Originally Posted By topshot
Originally Posted By Indy
This tent will 99% of the time be used at the Grand Canyon, but it may get used around here (Indiana) if the opportunity arises.

I'm curious why you didn't go with a straight tarp then?

BTW, fellow Hoosier about an hour west.

The last couple trips, not even bug repellant has kept the flies from turning me into a Golden Corral. With the TT being fully netted, at least I can sleep at night. I've always been absurdly tasty to flies and gnats. Mosquitoes hardly bother me, but biting flies, gnats, no-see-ums, horse flies, all just love me.
Posted by: topshot

Re: Tent Decision - 03/30/15 09:28 PM

Ah. Both times I've been there have been late June so I guess there are no flies at that point. I'll count myself lucky.
Posted by: Gershon

Re: Tent Decision - 04/09/15 08:36 PM

I bought two Solitaires for my son and I. Yesterday, I had it set up in the yard and the winds were gusting to 72 mph. It had no problem with the winds.

I'm 6 feet tall and I have plenty of room inside.

The next test is a rainstorm.

It's not ultra-light, but it's light enough for us.
Posted by: PeterK

Re: Tent Decision - 05/27/15 10:59 PM

My personal opinion, it's best to invest in a quality tent company. A company which will stand behind the product and provide warranty support when warranty ends.

In my opinion, Big Agnes and Hilleberg are top on the list.