Please help me choose one of this backpacks

Posted by: OsB

Please help me choose one of this backpacks - 08/15/14 08:15 PM

Hllo everyone!!

I was looking at the forum and though maybe some of you could help me on choosing a new backpack.

I'm looking at the High Sierra 40 and 45. but I can't see what's the difference between this two. I was also interested in Tangent model but it looks to me that it's not as strong as the Hawk ones.

Would this bags would be enough for a week of clothing only?

Thank you very much for your help!! : )
Posted by: aimless

Re: Please help me choose one of this backpacks - 08/15/14 09:39 PM

The 40 will be somewhat smaller capacity than the 45. If you look for "specs" you will often see the capacity of a pack listed in cubic inches or in liters, or both.

Whether either one of them will hold what you consider to be a week of clothing is impossible to say, because what each person would call "a week of clothing" can differ enormously.

The best way to discover if your clothes will fit is to take all your clothes that you want to carry and put them inside it. You can also put the clothes into a box and measure how many cubic inches they fill. This will get you a fairly decent idea of whether the pack will hold them.
Posted by: AdventureMyk

Re: Please help me choose one of this backpacks - 08/15/14 10:23 PM

Agreed, a 'week of clothing' for me is substantially different than a 'week of clothing' for the ex-girlfriend!

Take what you consider to be a week of clothing, squish 'em in a few compression bags and take said bags to the store and try out the packs with the clothes in them. How they fit with what you carry will differ dramatically from how they sit just empty or with the plastic bubble stuff inside them.
Posted by: OsB

Re: Please help me choose one of this backpacks - 08/15/14 11:19 PM

Yes agreed. Sorry I wasn't more specific. I will add it to the original question.

By a week of clothing I can say about 2 jeans, 2 shorts, 7 t-shirts and some underwear.

I will compare the inside capacity size of the backpack to a small suitcase or box like you guys say.

Thanks very much for your help!
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Please help me choose one of this backpacks - 08/16/14 12:38 PM

That's a lot of clothing for a week! When I travel, whether for a week or a month, I take one day's spare clothing. With all my clothing of quick-drying synthetics, I can rinse out anything dirty and it will dry in a few hours. I spent two three-month periods in Europe doing this. The weight reduction was worth it and allowed me to carry more wine! laugh

Please note that this site is about "backpacking" as wilderness trekking, not budget travel. The needs are quite different. For us, light weight and adaptability to rapidly changing weather conditions are the most important. For traveling, a pack that will stand up to mistreatment by luggage handlers is the most important.
Posted by: AdventureMyk

Re: Please help me choose one of this backpacks - 08/20/14 02:47 AM

Drop about 1 pair of jeans and at least 4 of the t-shirts from that list. Shorts should be able to double as swim-wear! If you can't get at least 2 uses out of it, leave it at home!