4400 Southwest Pack

Posted by: Outcasthiker

4400 Southwest Pack - 08/12/14 10:18 AM

Has anyone tried a 4400 Southwest Pack by Hyperlite Mountain Gear? I am also looking at the Catalyst by ULA.

http://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/ult...hwest-pack.html

http://www.ula-equipment.com/product_p/catalyst.htm
Posted by: rockchucker22

Re: 4400 Southwest Pack - 08/12/14 07:38 PM

I have HMG windrider pack and just love it. Wonderfully comfortable for the weight. Water proof so no liner needed and seems fairly durable so far. Really doubt you could go wrong with either pack.

Re: 4400 Southwest Pack - 08/12/14 08:57 PM

How long have you had it? Do you have plenty of room in the side pockets after you stuff the insides? I looking for a seven day pack.
Posted by: rockchucker22

Re: 4400 Southwest Pack - 08/13/14 09:46 AM

I've only had it about 6 months. I have plenty of room but it just depends on how much you take. I have the 2400 which is the 40 lt. It holds my summer gear just fine, except I have to strap the bear canister on top. I'm guessing that at least for me the 4400 would be too big, but I try to carry minimal stuff.

Re: 4400 Southwest Pack - 09/29/14 06:44 PM

Got my first four day backpack in with my 4400 Southwest Pack. I like it. Going to do a eight day backpack next week and will give an update.

Re: 4400 Southwest Pack - 10/20/14 10:21 PM

Got around 200 miles on the pack now. I am liking everything about it! Got comfortable about where I am putting things and starting to remember where I put them:)
Posted by: ratbastard

Re: 4400 Southwest Pack - 01/09/15 10:23 PM

Love my 3400 southwest to bits. But I don't have close to the miles these graybeards have on it.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: 4400 Southwest Pack - 01/09/15 11:30 PM

Both pack makers have outstanding reputations, great customer service (call or email them with questions!), and many satisfied customers. Before you order, have all your gear and the equivalent in weight/bulk of a week's food and a day's water ready so you can load up the pack as soon as it arrives and hike around the house with it for a couple of hours. A very boring hike, of course, but that will keep the pack pristine while you decide if it is a keeper or if you need to return it within the manufacturer's return period.

That being said, I don't own either one; mine is an old Six Moon Designs pack discontinued at the end of 2005. Should it ever give out, I'd probably try the ULA Circuit or Ohm. For me, they look like a better fit. I have very pressure-sensitive shoulders, so I need load lifters, and as a woman I like those S straps available with the ULA packs.

Another company I'd look at is Elemental Horizons; I'm particularly interested in their Kalais. Of course, that's only if my present pack should give out, which it shows no signs of doing.

Re: 4400 Southwest Pack - 02/17/15 08:35 PM

Pack still working well. My wife likes hers too. I did find a pocket that was not stitched well and was pulling apart. I notified the company and they asked me to send it to them. They repaired the seam and sent it back. Good people and back their packs.