Ursack approved by IGBC!

Posted by: OregonMouse

Ursack approved by IGBC! - 07/28/14 08:55 PM

It has been a long, long wait, but the 2014 model Ursack has been approved by the Interagency Grizzly Bear Committee. It may not appear on the IGBC website for a while--these things are slow to happen. Local agencies also may have their own ideas.

Of course the approved model is only the 2014 version of the S29 All White model. Per Ursack, "We are working on a way to offer a low cost retrofit and once we figure that out, we will post the information on our website and attempt to contact affected customers by email." I strongly suspect this will not include the Ursack I bought back in 2006, though!

More details here.
Video of IGBC test

While I'm not selling my Bearikade yet, I may get the new Ursack model. I want to see it on the IGBC list first, though. The approval came too late for the latest list, and I don't know how often they update. I didn't find out until after I bought the Bearikade that it doesn't have IGBC approval.
Posted by: ndwoods

Re: Ursack approved by IGBC! - 07/29/14 01:27 AM

Yahoo!
Posted by: 4evrplan

Re: Ursack approved by IGBC! - 07/29/14 09:47 AM

Great! That's huge for you guys in bear country.

ETA: And huge for the company.
Posted by: hikerduane

Re: Ursack approved by IGBC! - 07/29/14 11:02 AM

I have the old green one, TKO, I wonder if it will be out of the loop? The best model.
Duane
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Ursack approved by IGBC! - 07/29/14 11:14 AM

Just remember that (1) Ursack isn't on the published IGBC approved list yet, (2) local jurisdictions may still not allow it and (3) if you already own an Ursack, unless you have the latest 2014 model, it's not approved. In other words, don't be in a hurry to get rid of your canisters!
Posted by: hikerduane

Re: Ursack approved by IGBC! - 07/29/14 01:51 PM

Sell them all but the Garcia!!! I've thought of getting rid of my decaled Bearicade and now maybe the TKO/w upgrade. Kalifornia and Grizz country is the only downside. I should be able to get what I paid for both.
Duane