Suggestions on gear list for Glacier NP

Posted by: Jimmy

Suggestions on gear list for Glacier NP - 05/04/14 08:08 PM

I'm going to Glacier the first week of August, plan on 2 nights on Gunsight pass, then spending a few days dayhiking. I've never been there, and just wanted to see if my gear I plan on taking is appropriate and if anyone has any suggestions on anything I should leave out, or anything I'm missing. Thanks

Pack - Gossamer Gear Mariposa 27.3oz

Sleeping -
Marmot Hydrogen 30degree 28.6oz
Neoair Xlite - 15.5oz

Shelter - Eureka Spitfire2 73.4oz

Extra clothing -
Poly thermals 10.6oz
Fleece Beanie 1.4oz
Fleece gloves 2.1oz
Marmot Quasar 10.8oz
Driducks rainsuit 10.8oz

Cooking/water -
Sawyer mini 2.0oz
1L Mtn Dew bottle 1.4oz
MSR pocket rocket 3.2oz
GSI pot/lid 10.7oz
MSR spork 0.3oz

Other stuff -
Map/compass 4.2oz
Canon sx280hs 8.1oz
Tripod 13.8oz
Pocket knife 1.6oz
Headlamp 4.0oz
1st Aid/backup fire 3.8oz
MP3 & extra batteries for light 8.0oz
Hygiene kit, toothbrush,wetwipes, etc 1.8oz
Small packtowel 0.9oz
Leki trekking poles 21.1oz

With a couple drysacks I'm at 16lbs, not including food / water. I'm very happy with my tent, and the tripod & camera must go :-)
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Suggestions on gear list for Glacier NP - 05/04/14 08:24 PM

That tent is really heavy; your tent alone weighs only 12 oz. less than my Big 4 (tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, pack). And I'm definitely not "Ultralight." I suggest you look at tarptent.com and sixmoondesigns.com for two person tents at half the weight. Or, if you have lots of $$$ for cuben fiber, zpacks.com.

For the Rockies, I won't go out with anything less than a 20*F sleeping bag. I tried the Marmot Hydrogen and froze, even wearing all my insulating clothing inside, at 30*F. At least take more insulating clothing and a warm dry pair of socks to sleep in.

For a 2-night trip, skip the extra batteries--just put in new ones to start.

You might want an extra water container for when you have to camp away from water. I always bring a 2 liter Evernew or Platypus--they are light and roll up to take next to no space when empty.

Lighter tripod?

Posted by: Jimmy

Re: Suggestions on gear list for Glacier NP - 05/04/14 08:54 PM

I also have a Marmot Lithium 0, but anything over 30 degrees and I'm sweating bullets with nothing on, so I figured that would be overkill. I'll throw in some heavier fleece thermals. Good idea about an extra 2L platy. Any suggestions on a tripod? That's about the lightest one I've found that extends to a decent height.
Posted by: dkramalc

Re: Suggestions on gear list for Glacier NP - 05/05/14 05:24 PM

DIY 4.7 oz tripod

I made one of these with some leftover aluminum poles I had sitting around; seems to work fine for lightweight cameras.
Posted by: CJC

Re: Suggestions on gear list for Glacier NP - 05/16/14 02:20 AM

Tamrac TR406 ZipShot Compact Ultra-Light Instant Tripod

A friend took this down into the GCNP on a 4 day trip. Worked great and supports a big camera and lens.