Son of Neat Sheet?

Posted by: Rick_D

Son of Neat Sheet? - 04/04/14 03:09 PM

My Neat Sheet ground cloths are getting tatty and I've discovered to my horror profound disappointment they're no longer made. <sadface>

Anybody know of a good substitute? As background, it was a two-ply "blanket" of soft Tyvek-like fabric made by Kimberly-Clark intended for picnics and such. Cut in half it made a nice pair of groundcloths--highly water-resistant but soft, non-slippery, silent and even somewhat warm. And cheap. The perfect groundcloth.

Hoping there's something similar out there.

ETA found a remaindered one on Amazon for a mere two or three times what they cost back in the day. Pulled the buy trigger because I can now stop looking for a few more seasons.

Cheers,
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: Son of Neat Sheet? - 04/04/14 11:07 PM

I didn't even know about those but now that you've gone and bought the very last one I really want one too. cry
Posted by: swammie

Re: Son of Neat Sheet? - 04/07/14 07:21 PM

this?

http://www.amazon.com/The-Neat-Sheet-Ground-Inches/dp/B0007KPBZC

Re: Son of Neat Sheet? - 04/07/14 11:50 PM

That's it exactly but holy cow, sixty bucks? "A Buyer's Paradise" is irony taken to level three.

Now I feel better having only paid two or three times too much for mine. smile

These would be cheap to resurrect, as the fabric itself is not expensive (basically, soft Tyvek housewrap). Hazy memory but I think my original was something like eight bucks but even then they were hard to chase down, maybe because they were marketed to picnickers and thus, seasonal items.

Hey, I know, just staple a couple disposable hazmat suits together.

Cheers,
Posted by: rockchucker22

Re: Son of Neat Sheet? - 04/07/14 11:55 PM

Why not just buy tyvek and wash it a couple of times?
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Son of Neat Sheet? - 04/08/14 01:58 PM

Or just get polycro (the stuff used in shrink-to-fit storm window kits) which is lighter, cheaper and more waterproof? It has been known to last through a PCT thru-hike, and most of us don't use our gear that intently.
Posted by: Pika

Re: Son of Neat Sheet? - 04/08/14 02:14 PM

There is also a "kite" Tyvek that weighs 1.3 oz per sq. yd. and has about the same water resistance as House Wrap. They also use it to make Haz Mat clothing so it is much softer than House Wrap. You can buy it by the yard from online kite suppliers.

Re: Son of Neat Sheet? - 04/08/14 02:41 PM

Did not know about this stuff, thanks! Would like to see a sample--could be a double layer might stand up to groundcloth use.

Cheers,

Re: Son of Neat Sheet? - 04/08/14 02:44 PM

Have an aversion to slick &/or crinkly groundcloth materials, but that's a personal quirk. Last summer's long trip with the Shangrila, my buddy brought a mylar rescue blanket as groundcloth, with hilarious results--I think it was in four pieces by day seven.

He's an iconoclast; one year it was a shower curtain.

Cheers,