Stove talk...

Posted by: jimmyb

Stove talk... - 02/26/14 10:51 PM

Looking at Zelph's starlyte Alky stove for boiling a few cups of water at a time. Wondering if there is anyone who has tried one. I was intrigued by the no spill factor and its pretty cheap to play around with. It could come in handy on a trip we have planned if I cant get a canister in the area.

I know... I could just make a cat can stove or something but a few too many irons in the fire right now and I really don't need another thing to obsess over. smile Plus the no spill thing.

Thanks folks, jimmyb
Posted by: DTape

Re: Stove talk... - 02/26/14 11:02 PM

I have a starlyte stove. A few of them actually. Zelph is a good guy and makes good stoves. I tested one of his original starlyte stoves a few years back for him on a 50 mile trip. It worked flawlessly. Over time the mesh began to compress the insulation. he then switched to a stainless steel mesh on top. (The original was fiberglass). My original was also before the integrated potstand. One of my newer ones allows for the stand to be removed. I like that feature. while in newer version is an improvement in general, the only area in which the original excelled was in the extreme cold. My orig was foolproof in subzero temps. The newer w/stainless mesh takes a bit longer to light (metal vs fiberglass) in these extreme temps.
Posted by: hikerduane

Re: Stove talk... - 02/26/14 11:16 PM

At a recent gathering on another forum, Zelph sent some seconds or extra stoves he had to be given away, I picked up one each of the Starlyte and the modified Starlyte along with a carbon felt simmer ring. The modified works great in my Caldera Cone, using a little less fuel than the Trail Designs 12-10 stove, but taking about a minute longer to bring to a boil 12 oz. of water. The simmer ring over the regular stove, allows about 20cc of denatured alcohol to burn for 30 minutes, petering out at about 32 minutes, without use of a pot of water, only a windscreen in my one test. The caps on these are nice to use to save the unspent fuel for the next meal/hot drink. Might enable one to bring enough fuel in the stove for a o/n trip, saving the weight of a separate fuel container. Some will bring two stoves for a weekend.
Duane
Posted by: jimmyb

Re: Stove talk... - 02/27/14 01:54 PM

thanks guys, I am going to try one out.

jimmuyb