Tyvek Rain Pants

Posted by: bamudd

Tyvek Rain Pants - 02/17/14 02:35 PM

Tyvek pants are $4 or less from construction supply companies.

Yes, I know they aren't super durable, and yes, I know they won't breathe great in summer heat.

But for spring/fall weekend hiking when you don't think you'll be needing them a ton and aren't doing long distance, is there any reason why not?

I have good shell pants for when I need them (high intensity off trail, and winter when wet could very well equal dead), but they're kinda heavy for 3-season weekend hiking.

Is there a downside I'm missing? At $4/pair, and high recyclability, I don't mind lack of durability for this purpose.
Posted by: aimless

Re: Tyvek Rain Pants - 02/17/14 04:47 PM

for spring/fall weekend hiking when you don't think you'll be needing them a ton and aren't doing long distance, is there any reason why not?

Within those parameters, I think you'd be ok with some non-durable rain pants. You can get away with quite a bit when you're only out for one night and you're not hiking very far and it's all on-trail.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Tyvek Rain Pants - 02/20/14 02:14 PM

I could be wrong, but I don't think the seams are taped. Go to home depot and buy a roll of tyvek tape, then tape all the seams.