2014 AT thru hike gear video

Posted by: Subie Love

2014 AT thru hike gear video - 02/13/14 10:05 PM

Hello! Just wanted to post a video of an overview of all the gear I'll be taking on my thru hike. I'll be starting the approach trail on April, 3rd. I'll be posting updates from the trail also so if anyone is interested, feel free to subscribe to my channel. Thanks for watching! smile

Posted by: jimmyb

Re: 2014 AT thru hike gear video - 02/14/14 10:56 PM

I like the cameo walk on by the pup! smile Good luck on your hike.

One thing I don't often see on lists is any kind of mosquito protection. The gloves will be nice to have if it gets nasty but what about a head net or bug dope. We like to hike parts of the trail here in NE and there can be times when mosquitos are unbearable. At least for myself, the little monsters love to bite me. Few years back on a trip to the Everglades we picked up some head nets that were life savers. I keep mine in my pack now in summer, at under and ounce it keeps me from going insane. Im trying to use less bug dope as it likes to destroy gear and probably me too. cry

jimmyb
Posted by: bluefish

Re: 2014 AT thru hike gear video - 02/15/14 08:58 AM

This winter has been quite snowy so far which transfers out to a buggy late spring/ summer. The black flies can be so intense as to get you feeling sick. As Jimmy said, something to consider. They can swarm you so bad as to make DEET pointless, as you'll be breathing them. Without a head net it can be brutal. I've used a buff to at least keep them out of my ears. They really come in to play from Ma. north. On the same note, the trails being wet and boggy will make your socks a little critical. I've found the Darn Toughs to pill and become more likely to produce hot spots than the Smart Wools. They may last longer in the heels, but don't perform as well in the wet, at least for my wife and I. You've picked out some good stuff, looking forward to trail reports. thanks

Re: 2014 AT thru hike gear video - 02/15/14 10:07 AM

Thanks guys! I'm bringing Off but a bug net is a great idea and they hardly weigh anything. I'll pick one up soon!
Posted by: rockchucker22

Re: 2014 AT thru hike gear video - 02/15/14 11:48 AM

I can't see the link for the video.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: 2014 AT thru hike gear video - 02/15/14 02:21 PM

Be warned that DEET doesn't do much for flies. Nor does permethrin sprayed clothing. (Been there, done that, hundreds of bites through permethrin sprayed base layer top.) In the absence of a suit of armor, nylon (woven, not knit) shirt and pants, long pants and sleeves and bug net are definitely needed.
Posted by: rockchucker22

Re: 2014 AT thru hike gear video - 02/15/14 02:57 PM

Originally Posted By OregonMouse
Be warned that DEET doesn't do much for flies. Nor does permethrin sprayed clothing. (Been there, done that, hundreds of bites through permethrin sprayed base layer top.) In the absence of a suit of armor, nylon (woven, not knit) shirt and pants, long pants and sleeves and bug net are definitely needed.
I swear noseeums like deet, it's like whisky to them.
Posted by: ndwoods

Re: 2014 AT thru hike gear video - 02/18/14 02:30 AM

Nice video thanks!
I have used the polycro ground sheets for several years including the JMT and I love them!
Have a great trip!
Dee

Re: 2014 AT thru hike gear video - 02/19/14 11:43 AM

Originally Posted By rockchucker22
I can't see the link for the video.

Does this work?

youtube

Originally Posted By ndwoods
Nice video thanks!
I have used the polycro ground sheets for several years including the JMT and I love them!
Have a great trip!
Dee

Thank you! I will definitely be bringing it. It will come in handy when I'm staying in shelters to protect my sleeping pad.
Posted by: wildthing

Re: 2014 AT thru hike gear video - 02/19/14 02:53 PM

Loved your gear video and I think you've made great choices for almost all your gear. Made me think about my choices, as I'm fortunate to get to 12lbs for my base pack. I've been thinking of a different setup for the clothing, probably a lightweight t for sleeping, Capilene 3 long-sleeved top for hiking, and perhaps another lightweight to middleweight smartwool top like you've suggested. I also considered a down vest for around camp which could double as a pillow, but I'm probably doing sections of the Continental Divide Trail which has greater elevation.

You sure you need both the heavier wool top and the down jacket? As you suggest, one of them will probably go, but I'd keep the longjohns for sleeping and for the occasional cool morning if you send back your pants. Does the Cuben jacket go over all your gear layered up? Just some thoughts.

Good luck on your hike!

Re: 2014 AT thru hike gear video - 02/20/14 08:44 AM

Originally Posted By wildthing
Loved your gear video and I think you've made great choices for almost all your gear. Made me think about my choices, as I'm fortunate to get to 12lbs for my base pack. I've been thinking of a different setup for the clothing, probably a lightweight t for sleeping, Capilene 3 long-sleeved top for hiking, and perhaps another lightweight to middleweight smartwool top like you've suggested. I also considered a down vest for around camp which could double as a pillow, but I'm probably doing sections of the Continental Divide Trail which has greater elevation.

You sure you need both the heavier wool top and the down jacket? As you suggest, one of them will probably go, but I'd keep the longjohns for sleeping and for the occasional cool morning if you send back your pants. Does the Cuben jacket go over all your gear layered up? Just some thoughts.

Good luck on your hike!

I get cold pretty easily so I'm going to bring both just in case. The jacket will fit over both midlayers but not the down jacket. I don't plan on hiking in down jacket so it should be ok.
Posted by: BrianLe

Re: 2014 AT thru hike gear video - 02/21/14 10:59 AM

Quote:
"I get cold pretty easily so I'm going to bring both just in case. The jacket will fit over both midlayers but not the down jacket. I don't plan on hiking in down jacket so it should be ok."

When I hiked the AT with a late Feb start, a windshirt plus synthetic puffy vest was good for me during the "on trail" part. Perhaps a similar vest (mine's a thermawrap) would be lighter than whatever wool upper you're using (I've not seen the video).

I'm hiking for a month on the AT with a friend who will be thru-hiking, starting in three weeks. This time I'm doing quite the same thing --- light rain shell rather than windshirt this time, but light vest, and in my case a light down parka, as mid-March it can still get down into the teens at night.

What I found starting late Feb in 2010 was that it was cold wind that can "get to you" while actually hiking. So some ear protection, mittens rather than gloves, perhaps breadbags to keep hands warm from wind --- that sort of thing.

Best of luck on your trip.