Hammock UQ as ground quilt with thermarest?

Posted by: Roman-soldie

Hammock UQ as ground quilt with thermarest? - 12/30/13 05:53 PM

Hi guys, I'm new here, from the UK. I'm a hammocker but want to use my top quilt Or down under quilt with a thermorest for ultralight backpacking on the ground. Has anyone done similar?
Paul
Posted by: rockchucker22

Re: Hammock UQ as ground quilt with thermarest? - 12/30/13 06:51 PM

Lots of people use quilts with pads on the ground. What kind of quilts do you have?

Re: Hammock UQ as ground quilt with thermarest? - 12/30/13 07:09 PM

Hi rock'
I've got a snugpak topquilt with the foot box and a uk hammocks full length down under quilt. I use both with a warbonnet blackbird hammock, but I've got the ultralight bug and want to modify them to work on the ground too. I know there are quilts that fit thermarest mats.
Posted by: lori

Re: Hammock UQ as ground quilt with thermarest? - 12/30/13 08:39 PM

There are quilts already made to be either top or under quilts. Most dedicated under quilts with differential cut baffles, or other special features maybe intended to cut weight are going to be too short or too narrow for ground use. I would make synthetic panels and sew on strips of double sided Velcro (omni tape) to connect them to the under quilt to increase width, rather than do any permanent mod to the uq.

Look at jacks r better for examples of multi use quilts. I have two.

Re: Hammock UQ as ground quilt with thermarest? - 12/31/13 05:18 AM

Lori thanks I will do that.
Posted by: rockchucker22

Re: Hammock UQ as ground quilt with thermarest? - 12/31/13 10:39 AM

Are you using the bushcraft top quilt? I searched and this was all I was coming up with.