2 lb. winter pack

Posted by: hikerduane

2 lb. winter pack - 10/15/13 11:00 AM

Just got shipping info from Zimmerbuilt on my new winter capacity bp. 33 oz. he said final weight, had originall told me maybe 3 lbs. My old Epperson pack comes in at over 5 lbs. Looking forward to the weight savings and a top loading winter pack, not having to deal with dang zippers. Hoping I didn't give too big of dimensions as it looks deep. I can just compress it I guess.
Duane
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: 2 lb. winter pack - 10/15/13 12:51 PM

Interesting. What's the suspension set-up?

Cheers,

Re: 2 lb. winter pack - 10/15/13 02:00 PM

Rick, from what my research showed, similar to my SMD Starlight pack. Padded straps and belt, with load lifters, Chris said it should take 30-35 lbs. I weighed most of my winter stuff in my old pack and my bear canister for Fall trips. With a couple quarts of water I believe, came to 38 lbs., so I will be close. Some trips I don't take a shovel or shoes, especially in the Fall before snow camping. I can measure and fit my gear into boxes to figure capacity, but it will come down to actually getting the new pack. I'm stoked, just on the weight savings alone. I'd post a pic or two, but don't know how to move a picture from an email to a post.
Duane
Posted by: rockchucker22

Re: 2 lb. winter pack - 10/15/13 04:42 PM

Duane host your pictures on photobucket or some other photo sharing site then it's easy to post the pictures here. I would love to see your new pack. Didn't you also get a z- packs arc blast?

Re: 2 lb. winter pack - 10/15/13 08:09 PM

Well, when I get the pack, I can take a few pics, as Chris just sent a bunch of photos to me via email. I'll see if I can get one too with it loaded, I'm curious as to if I'll have spare room. I was worried both ways, too much volume, or too little. Yes, this Spring I picked up a Zpacks Arc Blast pack, it is working out great for week long summer trips. 17 oz.
Duane

Re: 2 lb. winter pack - 10/21/13 11:22 PM

My new Zimmerbuilt pack at 33oz. versus over 5 lbs. for my old Epperson pack I'd had for over 20 years.
Duane
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: 2 lb. winter pack - 10/22/13 01:36 AM

Nice! Even in these small photos the workmanship stands out--hope it's as comfortable as it is cool.

Cheers,

Re: 2 lb. winter pack - 10/22/13 11:07 AM

I'll see if I can get it out next few weeks, snow or not.
Duane

Re: 2 lb. winter pack - 10/22/13 03:39 PM

It's hard to see the packs features, can you stuff it with some clothes or a jacket so we can see it fullish?

Re: 2 lb. winter pack - 10/22/13 04:01 PM

The first pic with the shoes is stuffed. I was hoping that would be sufficient. Dang bpers. smile I'll get one up tonight to see if it shows better, it is a sideways shot from this weekend, just have to resize it.
I was thinking today that at the time my biggest worry was would I be able to get a couple old stoves like a Optimus 111, or Primus 41 etc. in the pack. Whew, it will work. Almost in panic mode if I couldn't bring a classic or two.
Duane

Re: 2 lb. winter pack - 10/22/13 09:07 PM

The pack is about 31" high, at what point I have not checked yet. 10" deep, plus the front pocket is 2" deep X 11 wide and 17" high, the side pockets are the width of the packs depth and 12" high. My bear cans easily fit into it, so I can get a few old classic stoves in it for solo snow camping. I was more concerned about gear required for Fall trips, where I have to pack a weeks worth of food and possibly a canister.
Duane
Posted by: JeremyRardin

Re: 2 lb. winter pack - 11/01/13 10:30 PM

What temperature are we using when we say 'winter'?

Re: 2 lb. winter pack - 11/11/13 07:50 PM

I'll start using this in early Oct. for five day or longer bp trips, making sure I have enough clothing and food, temps by then would be in the 20's. Temps here in CA can get below zero F. Just keep a stove running in the AM to use as a hand warmer. Had the pack out for the first time this last weekend, using my WM Apache 15F bag, booties and my winter tent, no extra ccf pad under the new XTherm. Only 28F Sunday AM.

Re: 2 lb. winter pack - 11/11/13 09:05 PM

Now that pack looks packed! Very nice, how did it carry? What was your total weight?

Re: 2 lb. winter pack - 11/12/13 08:53 AM

Bulky stuff like a vest and syn jacket fill gaps and I had my down booties as I hiked in with trail runners, did not want cold feet in the AM while fixing breakfast. With two stoves, fuel bottle and a quart of water, low 30's maybe. I have the capacity to carry gear for a week Fall trip, as then I'd only have one stove and no booties. I can use the elastic cord in front of the front pocket to stuff a windshirt or something that won't fall out. The top "Y" strap has lots of room to stretch out. All the straps have way too much length, but then I can cut the excess off sometime when I've used the pack a few times to see what my needs are. I wanted a pack this big due to maybe having to use a bear can or for Jan. trips, my 5F bag, booties etc. One shoulder strap dug me a tiny bit, I made some adjustments and that helped. More in order I'm sure. Hugged me very good, no load on top of my shoulder, just to the front and hips. Bear hug.
Duane

Re: 2 lb. winter pack - 12/11/13 11:17 PM

Curse you Duane, I just ordered!

Re: 2 lb. winter pack - 12/12/13 08:55 AM

smile I took a chance getting this for heavier winter trips, but so much of my stuff is down and I went to much lighter mattress/pad for sleeping on snow. But. I'll add back a few old stoves to use close to home on overnight trips. On group trips like to Yosemite, I'll stick to one stove or two light ones as we usually snowshoe in a ways to Dewey Point. With my lighter pack and the lighter pads, I've gone down maybe 4 pounds.
Duane
Posted by: skcreidc

Re: 2 lb. winter pack - 12/12/13 11:31 AM

Nice pack. I don't know why I looked though, I can't afford it anyway. ....MUST....TURN.....AWAY

Re: 2 lb. winter pack - 12/12/13 11:31 AM

Chris is pretty amazing, a week of back and forth e-mails, finally settling on a design, then sent my payment last night to wake up to a e-mail saying he will have it built in a week!

Re: 2 lb. winter pack - 12/17/13 02:19 PM

5 days later and Chris sent me pictures of my new pack.

Re: 2 lb. winter pack - 12/17/13 02:25 PM

Re: 2 lb. winter pack - 12/17/13 06:43 PM

I wish I thought of getting the top like yours. I have snaps which will not stay together when a full load is in.
Duane

Re: 2 lb. winter pack - 12/17/13 06:54 PM

It was added, I like pack lids. It is out of the XPac material while the rest is DyneemaX. I was shooting for simple, so I opted to go without compression straps. I find I rarely use them anyways. Also since I sized this pack to my gear the load will be pretty consistent.

Re: 2 lb. winter pack - 12/17/13 10:01 PM

You'll notice right away that Chris gives you extra material in his straps. I only have a single compression strap on each side for use in the shoulder season where I don't have quite so many down items. After this winter, I should be able to shorten most of the straps, shaving a little weight. Did he give you the weight?
Duane

Re: 2 lb. winter pack - 12/17/13 10:19 PM

29oz and he said the straps are all long and can/should be trimmed when I get it adjusted to me, saving another oz or two. Main pack is 3100 cu in, the back mesh is stretch mesh( I love gossemer gears' mesh) and standard mesh on the side pockets. I asked for only one hip belt pocket because on all my packs I usually only use one.

Re: 2 lb. winter pack - 12/18/13 08:55 AM

Tyson, I forgot to mention until I saw you are getting a belt pocket. They are not oriented very well, more to the side than at the front and is a tight fit for my small camera and pulling the zip. I only went with half mesh on my side pockets as I did not want any snags and I might have heavier gear in them. The front pocket as you can see is full fabric, once again, did not want material failing, plus I wanted something more waterproof for matches, tp, small clothing items.
Duane

Re: 2 lb. winter pack - 12/18/13 10:15 AM

Well that sucks, I can't stand unusable hip belt pocket. I really like how your back pocket has a flap to close it off. I was very concerned about the mesh pocket but after a year of off trail use with my GG Kumo I'm sold on stretch mesh. Very handy at extending the volume without making the pack unwieldy.

Re: 2 lb. winter pack - 12/18/13 01:19 PM

I have the mesh on two packs, the Arc and SMD Starlight. Funny, the only small snag I got on the Arc's mesh this summer, wasn't when I crashed doing some XC, but after I was back on a trail. See how the pocket works for you.
Duane

Re: 2 lb. winter pack - 12/18/13 02:41 PM

How many packs do you have? My wife is pissed that I have 3;)

Re: 2 lb. winter pack - 12/18/13 03:48 PM

Well, four now, counting the retired Epperson pack. Just three are three years old or newer. Can't beat year end bonus.
Duane

Re: 2 lb. winter pack - 12/18/13 06:52 PM

It get addictive to perfect the perfect set up for ones self.
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: 2 lb. winter pack - 12/18/13 07:33 PM

On the plus side, you'll be able to carry all your camping gear when she kicks you out. smile

I feel your pain - I went from a gear basement to a gear cupboard when my bride decided that a better use for the space would be as a sewing room. We're moving to a condo in a couple of months, and I'll be going from a cupboard to a corner of a closet. The up-side is that, in winnowing down my gear, I was able to correct some unfortunate purchasing decisions.

Re: 2 lb. winter pack - 12/18/13 08:03 PM

Originally Posted By Glenn Roberts
On the plus side, you'll be able to carry all your camping gear when she kicks you out. smile

I feel your pain - I went from a gear basement to a gear cupboard when my bride decided that a better use for the space would be as a sewing room. We're moving to a condo in a couple of months, and I'll be going from a cupboard to a corner of a closet. The up-side is that, in winnowing down my gear, I was able to correct some unfortunate purchasing decisions.
grin lol yea I have a couple of those. Luckily my son is very into camping too. My wife use to but she has MS and lost a lot of her physical capabilities. So she's now more comfortable at home.