Trekking poles

Posted by: mira.mikes

Trekking poles - 08/10/13 12:46 AM

Hi,

I am thinking to upgrade my trekking poles.

criteria:
* foldable ... as I'm traveling by air
* very stiff ... as I'm 220 pounds with my rucksack and climbing difficult terrain.
* durable ... reason is obvious
* reasonably light

Stiffness Z-Poles or telescopic?
Durable ... probably carbon?

Suggestions?

mira
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: Trekking poles - 08/10/13 07:00 AM

It would help to know what you're upgrading from - so we don't recommend what you already have.

Re: Trekking poles - 08/10/13 08:46 AM

Originally Posted By Glenn Roberts
It would help to know what you're upgrading from - so we don't recommend what you already have.

Yes ... I have Ferrino Mustang 500g per pair:
http://www.ferrino.it/en/catalog/climbin...r-code-1075h3f7

They are bit flexible and also I would like to get something bit lighter about 350-400g, 12-15oz per pair.

Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Trekking poles - 08/10/13 11:54 AM

If you want 12-15 oz. per pair, you're looking at carbon fiber. Don't get anti-shock poles, either; all they do is make an annoying clicking noise at every step.

There are a number of trekking pole threads here. Check the "sticky" post at the top of "General Discussion" for how to search (be sure to change the time frame from 1 week to 1 year).
Posted by: lori

Re: Trekking poles - 08/10/13 12:09 PM

Not necessarily carbon fiber!

This was the first thing I thought of:
https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Helinox/PassportTensionLock125

Re: Trekking poles - 08/10/13 08:00 PM

Those were the first thing I thought of, too. I have a pair of the 115 cm that I've used a couple of times, and I really like them - except that they're about 5cm short. I may try a set of the 125s, if I can find them.

I was worried that they might buckle under stress, or come apart (come un-connected, not break) if I got them stuck in a crack, but no such issues so far - and, yes, I have done both.

Re: Trekking poles - 08/11/13 09:10 AM

Originally Posted By OregonMouse
If you want 12-15 oz. per pair, you're looking at carbon fiber. Don't get anti-shock poles, either; all they do is make an annoying clicking noise at every step.

Thanks for warning this would makes me mad wink

There are a number of trekking pole threads here. Check the "sticky" post at the top of "General Discussion" for how to search (be sure to change the time frame from 1 week to 1 year).

Yes this giving much more results ...

Re: Trekking poles - 08/11/13 09:19 AM

Originally Posted By lori
Not necessarily carbon fiber!

This was the first thing I thought of:
https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Helinox/PassportTensionLock125

Thanks! I would need to go for 130cm version:
https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Helinox/PassportTensionLockAdjustable

I also consider to start using a tarp and trekking poles.
Are telescopic poles only choice when used with tarp?

I don't have much experience with tarp yet.

Re: Trekking poles - 08/11/13 10:44 AM

You really don't need adjustable poles with a tarp--you can use a clove hitch to fasten the guyline to the pole and put the knot at whatever height you need.

The exception is if you're like me--the pole length I need for hiking is shorter than what's needed for my shelter! In my case, adjustable poles are absolutely needed. Also, if you're going to scramble, you want to be able to shorten your poles and fasten them to your pack so your hands are free. In some cases (several people in the vehicle) I've also had to shorten them for traveling to/from the trailhead.

Re: Trekking poles - 08/11/13 10:42 PM

Depending on where you camp, you don't even need poles with a tarp - just string it up between two trees (with a ridgeline, or with cords off each center grommet.) This gives you a pup-tent style rig. You can tie off two corners to two different trees (or to a line strung between two trees, and pitch a lean-to. Finally, you can tie off one end to a tree, and peg the other to the ground, yielding a wedge.

Re: Trekking poles - 08/12/13 06:39 PM

You really don't need adjustable poles with a tarp--you can use a clove hitch to fasten the guyline to the pole and put the knot at whatever height you need.

The exception is if you're like me--the pole length I need for hiking is shorter than what's needed for my shelter! In my case, adjustable poles are absolutely needed. Also, if you're going to scramble, you want to be able to shorten your poles and fasten them to your pack so your hands are free. In some cases (several people in the vehicle) I've also had to shorten them for traveling to/from the trailhead.

Yes there several very good reasons to have adjustable or/and collapsible poles
even they are not necessary for pitching tarp.
Ok here are my candidates:
http://www.rutalocura.com/trekking_poles3.html
http://www.fizan.it/?page_id=104&lang=en

WDYT? Second one is not carbon, but I saw good review on it.

mira

Re: Trekking poles - 08/12/13 06:41 PM

Originally Posted By Glenn Roberts
Depending on where you camp, you don't even need poles with a tarp - just string it up between two trees (with a ridgeline, or with cords off each center grommet.) This gives you a pup-tent style rig. You can tie off two corners to two different trees (or to a line strung between two trees, and pitch a lean-to. Finally, you can tie off one end to a tree, and peg the other to the ground, yielding a wedge.

I am quite often in tree less areas frown
In mountains or behind polar circle ... so I need system not dependent on trees.

mira
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Trekking poles - 08/15/13 02:43 PM

Hi Mira,

Have used three-section CF poles--Leki and Komperdell--for many years now with no problems. Max weight (me+pack) is in the 210-215 range, so similar. I also frequently employ them for shelter support.

Compared to aluminum, weight aside, carbon does not dent and, important on long days, damps vibration much better, a big fatigue consideration. I have flogged these poles enough to have complete faith in them. I prefer the Lekis, so they get the most use.

I'll recommend you concentrate on telescoping CF poles, considering your air travel needs.

Cheers,

Re: Trekking poles - 08/15/13 03:32 PM

I have Leki carbon fiber poles, too, and they have worked great for me.