Water Bottle Ideas

Posted by: WDW4

Water Bottle Ideas - 08/01/13 09:58 AM

Hi friends! I am working on an invention in the water bottle field. I'd love to hear your ideas on the current strengths and weaknesses of water bottles on the market today, as well as alternative uses for water bottles in the backcountry. Feel free to hijack the thread and take it any direction you like, so long as it is water bottle related.

Cheers
Posted by: hikerduane

Re: Water Bottle Ideas - 08/01/13 01:14 PM

Too heavy, even drink bottles like Snapple and Gatorade, although they are nice at times. Trend for awhile now seems to be towards bladders, even I have a few bladders now. Used to be you needed a hard water bottle to easily use with a filter, but systems are out now that allow direct connection to the clean side bladder.
Good luck.
Duane
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Water Bottle Ideas - 08/02/13 11:51 AM

The first problem is that they aren't free. Although, I generally get free poweraid when I buy mine.

Generally, I use a poweraid bottle when I backpack. But, when I day hike, I like to take my kleen canteen. I like it's ruggedness, and extra security it gives me. But, it's too heavy. Vargo makes a titanium version that costs a lot. Someday I will probably buy one.
Posted by: ndwoods

Re: Water Bottle Ideas - 08/02/13 12:02 PM

My water bottles are heavy! I use a bicycle water bottle, the kind that is taller with a nice "waist" part way down cuz I have an elastic band on my shoulder strap to hold it so I can drink as I walk...and not worry about it being in my pack leaking like a bladder....but, it is indeed heavy!
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Water Bottle Ideas - 08/02/13 12:58 PM

Why buy water bottles when you can get used ones for free? Actually, in Oregon they cost 5 cents (the deposit), but that's no big deal. Smart Water bottles last for a long time and, if you want a wide-mouth version, so do the Kroger "Simple Truth" organic juice bottles. Even if you count the cost of the original beverage (which presumably you will drink), they are still far, far cheaper than any commercial bottle, and lighter than most.
Posted by: Ewker

Re: Water Bottle Ideas - 08/02/13 03:23 PM

we use the Smart water bottles also. I like the cap with the snap lid better than the screw on cap. I also carry a 32 oz gatorade bottle with me.
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: Water Bottle Ideas - 08/02/13 06:04 PM

What kind of invention? A better bottle, or some sort of piece that works with the bottle (like a purifier, pack belt holder, better cap, or something?

Re: Water Bottle Ideas - 08/05/13 11:07 AM

Glenn, at this stage of development I'd rather not say, but it would be useful for mountaineering and high altitude backpacking. Thanks for your interest!
Posted by: DTape

Re: Water Bottle Ideas - 08/05/13 02:05 PM

I use a powerade bottle.

Pros: wide mouth, lightweight, fits my pack pocket easily, 20 oz is perfect volume (for me), free.

Cons: doesn't contain cold beer.
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: Water Bottle Ideas - 08/05/13 09:03 PM

Wait a minute - are you working on freeze-dried water!? smile
Posted by: lori

Re: Water Bottle Ideas - 08/05/13 09:10 PM

Originally Posted By WDW4
Glenn, at this stage of development I'd rather not say, but it would be useful for mountaineering and high altitude backpacking. Thanks for your interest!

That's pretty much every water bottle and hydration bladder out there...
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Water Bottle Ideas - 08/05/13 09:17 PM

Originally Posted By Glenn Roberts
Wait a minute - are you working on freeze-dried water!? smile

We all know that's a dead end spur on the journey to freeze-dried beer!

Re: Water Bottle Ideas - 08/06/13 08:37 AM

Haha, you got me. I've been dreaming of "powdered" water for years.

Re: Water Bottle Ideas - 08/06/13 08:39 AM

Originally Posted By lori

True, Lori, but my particular invention, if it comes to production, will fill a need not currently met by other water bottles. A need specific to mountaineering and high altitude backpacking.

Cheers!
Posted by: lori

Re: Water Bottle Ideas - 08/06/13 09:16 AM

Originally Posted By WDW4
Originally Posted By lori

True, Lori, but my particular invention, if it comes to production, will fill a need not currently met by other water bottles. A need specific to mountaineering and high altitude backpacking.

Cheers!

Since I"m not aware of any such need, that should be interesting...
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Water Bottle Ideas - 08/06/13 10:50 AM

I'm not aware of any such need, either. With the big variety of water, juice, other drink bottles available, I have no need to spend any more money on containers made specifically for water.

Maybe it's a self-propelled water container so you don't have to carry it? laugh Unfortunately, that would be illegal in wilderness areas where most high altitude hiking/mountaineering takes place.