Green steel Army bottle thingy's ?!

Posted by: joshua3299

Green steel Army bottle thingy's ?! - 06/07/13 04:33 PM

So for a while now I have seen these type of army canteen/bottles being recommended but I have no idea what their purpose is and why they are better than any other bottle, could someone please fill me in.

and yes i'm a noob so sorry if i did something wrong lol
Posted by: aimless

Re: Green steel Army bottle thingy's ?! - 06/07/13 05:01 PM

The point of a water bottle is to hold water and not leak. Oh, and not contaminate your water, either. Since you have to carry it, a lightweight bottle that meets these requirements is better than a heavy bottle (like steel). Since you have to pay for it, a cheap bottle is better than an expensive one.

For all the reasons given above, a lot of people just carry a supermarket-variety plastic water, soda or gatorade bottle that they refill with water. They work, rarely leak, cost nearly nothing, weigh very little and are dirt simple to replace.

I use Platypus bottles myself because I can roll them up when they are empty and they don't take up space. They are also more durable than the cheapie plastic water bottles.
Posted by: JPete

Re: Green steel Army bottle thingy's ?! - 06/07/13 05:47 PM

Find this one confusing. Don't remember noticing any recommendations for any military bottles. The only green Army bottles that I can think of are the plastic canteens that replaced the old aluminum ones about the time I got in (Korea).

If that's what you are thinking about, I still have one, along with the cover, belt, webbing and butt pack I was issued, and still use it once in a blue moon, since the canteen cup and "cup holder" fit inside the cover around the canteen, and form a fairly efficient way to boil water (you need a commercial cover or foil for the cup) and it's fairly compact.

But this stuff is very heavy by today's standards, and I think probably finding it would be difficult and expensive (The military no longer uses it).

I use it because I have it, it's quick and handy (I keep it in the car) and I have rather a lot of experience (a significant amount of it unwanted), so using it seems easy. Starting new, I can't imagine any reason for buying it. There is commercial gear that will do the same job cheaper and lighter.

best, jcp
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Green steel Army bottle thingy's ?! - 06/10/13 10:04 AM

A lot of bushcrafters like the army canteens, mostly because they are cheap and very durable. The same reason why a lot of bushcrafters like the ALICE pack. But, for recreational backpacking, they are heavy, and more expensive. It is also a nostalgia thing as well.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Green steel Army bottle thingy's ?! - 06/10/13 05:24 PM

I'm going to be acquiring an 1860's Army reproduction canteen when I go to the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg. I don't expect to use it except at Civil War reenactments, though! For backpacking, Evernew, Platypus or used soda bottles are far better. Smart Water bottles are awesome! The nice thing about Evernew and Platypus is that the bottles roll up small and take up very little space when not in use.
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: Green steel Army bottle thingy's ?! - 06/10/13 08:05 PM

To stay in the Civil War vein, just remember what William Holden (the regimental surgeon) told John Wayne (the cavalry regiment's commander), when Wayne heard the surgeon arguing with a company commander: "As usual, Colonel, I'm just trying to explain the facts of life to the captain: the water tastes better when you water the horses downstream. How do you like your coffee, Colonel?"

Have a good time at Gettysburg.