Initial Impressions of Kalais Pack

Posted by: Pika

Initial Impressions of Kalais Pack - 04/25/13 04:01 PM

I got the pack about two weeks ago, so far, I like it really well. I have had it out four times since it arrived (earlier than predicted) and I think it is one of the most comfortable packs I have ever used. To this date I have used the Kalais on two, full kit, ten mile training day-hikes, a 15 mile over-niter in the Santa Rita Mountains and a three-day, 27 mile loop in the Rincon Mountains. Weight carried has varied from 11 pounds on the training hikes, to 19 pounds on the Rincon loop. Most of the time on these hikes, I was hardly aware that I was carrying a pack: it is that comfortable.

I think what makes it so comfortable is the design of the suspension system. The aluminum U (or V) stay effectively transfers the weight to the hip belt where the hip belt then supports the pack weight on the top of your hip bones. The aluminum stay appears to me to be better integrated into the pack structure than in the other removable-stay packs with which I am familiar and so contributes to better weight control. The hip belt has a unique (to me) dual-strap arrangement which, if properly used, cups the hip belt over the top of your hip bones without the need for over-tightening. The pack also has load-lifter and hip-belt-stabilizer straps. With all of the straps properly adjusted, this takes some experimentation by the way; all of the weight is carried on the hips without causing the constricted leg circulation typical of an over-tightened hip belt.

The Kalais seems a bit small for its stated “displacement”. It has a somewhat narrower profile than, say, the Jam2 that I have been using as a small pack. The extension collar does provide quite a bit of extra room if needed; BTW, the extension collar volume is not included in the volume stated on the Elemental Horizons web site. For my normal, bear-canister-less, trips it holds my gear, water and food in the main compartment with some room to spare. Any extra room is then neatly handled by an excellent system of compression straps and the roll-top/top-strap setup. Also, it will hold all of my gear and my large BV-500 in the main compartment but I am still working on the best way to fit everything together in an elegant and sophisticated fashion. I'm sure that I’ll get there soon, hopefully before my JMT through-hike this August.

I’ll be using the Kalais on an upcoming four day loop trip in the Grand Canyon. I’ll be going down the Hermit Trail, along the Tonto Trail and then out on the Bright Angel Trail. I’ll probably be carrying about 21 pounds to start this trip. I’ll likely write up a trip report and mention the pack as seems appropriate after I return.
Posted by: skcreidc

Re: Initial Impressions of Kalais Pack - 04/27/13 09:45 AM

Sounds promising for you so far, Pika. It also sounds like you are going to give it a thorough testing this summer. Thanks for posting the review!

Posted by: rockchucker22

Re: Initial Impressions of Kalais Pack - 04/27/13 08:18 PM

Pics man, we need pics!! Sounds like a cool pack, what does it weigh?
Posted by: LookinUp

Re: Initial Impressions of Kalais Pack - 05/07/13 07:33 AM

Thanks for posting, I'm always on the lookout for a supportive pack. I would love to find something lighter than my Deuter. The Deuter is a good pack, but at nearly 3 lbs, I just know there's something out there that will work that's lighter. I just ordered the new Exped Lightning 45 but I'm not totally crazy about it. This company sounds like something I should try out.