The Bobcat Stove System

Posted by: Hikin Jim

The Bobcat Stove System - 02/05/13 08:18 PM

I haven't done a write up for a while (long story), but some of you may know of my backpacking stove addiction, er, hobby. Finally got around to doing a review (below).

BTW, does Hikermor post here anymore? I've got a stove (about two reviews yet to come) that I think he might like: A "universal" alcohol stove -- a stove that will not only burn methanol and ethanol but also isopropanol, and not only burn isopropanol but burn it cleanly and efficiently. But that's in the future. My write up for today is on the Bobcat system which works with either alcohol or hexamine (e.g. ESBIT).

I've been using the Bobcat stove system for my serious solo trips the last several months.

I've found it to be a good system: reliable, stable, and easy to use. I particularly like that everything fits inside the pot, which makes things pretty handy.

If you're interested in such things, here's the full review on my blog:
The Bobcat Stove System

This article is actually part I of a series. Next in the series will cover how I use the system to bake muffins out on the trail.

Part III will be the "universal" alcohol stove that I alluded to earlier.

HJ
Posted by: skcreidc

Re: The Bobcat Stove System - 02/07/13 09:15 AM

Always fun to read what stove you have been playing with. It looks like a great system for some creative in-the-pot cooking. Not so much for frying fish up. Thanks for posting (strangely, in my head I was hearing Bobcat Goldthwait describing the features...).

Chris
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: The Bobcat Stove System - 02/07/13 12:49 PM

So I'm not the only one. eek

What's the burner look like?

Originally Posted By skcreidc
(strangely, in my head I was hearing Bobcat Goldthwait describing the features...).

Chris
Posted by: oldranger

Re: The Bobcat Stove System - 02/07/13 01:00 PM

"Does hikermor post here anymore?" But, of course! Only different handle....

Re: The Bobcat Stove System - 02/07/13 10:33 PM

Originally Posted By skcreidc
Always fun to read what stove you have been playing with. It looks like a great system for some creative in-the-pot cooking. Not so much for frying fish up. Thanks for posting (strangely, in my head I was hearing Bobcat Goldthwait describing the features...).

Chris
You can use it to fry, but you'd have to have a pan larger in diameter than the diameter of the windscreen. The windscreen is plenty stiff enough. I'll have try it.

HJ

Re: The Bobcat Stove System - 02/07/13 10:35 PM

Originally Posted By oldranger
"Does hikermor post here anymore?" But, of course! Only different handle....
Ah! Excellent. But now I've revealed your true identity. Oops.

How's your Primus 71? Did you ever get a key for it?

HJ

Re: The Bobcat Stove System - 02/07/13 10:37 PM

Originally Posted By Rick_D
What's the burner look like?
I'll have to post some better pics some time, but here is a video an a couple of photos for now:

HJ
Posted by: oldranger

Re: The Bobcat Stove System - 02/08/13 07:37 AM

Funny you should ask!! Just yesterday, motivated by the DW, I was digging through some gear, and there on top of the cabinet, covered with the dust of ages (and a light film of rust), was my long lost key. My Primus 71L is restored and made whole!

Now if I could just find that darn Ring of Power....You wouldn't have one of those for rental would you??

The Primus 71L is semi-sacred to me, being the first item I purchased from REI, and next to the DW, is the hottest thing I possess...

Re: The Bobcat Stove System - 02/08/13 01:39 PM

Funny you should ask!! Just yesterday, motivated by the DW, I was digging through some gear, and there on top of the cabinet, covered with the dust of ages (and a light film of rust), was my long lost key. My Primus 71L is restored and made whole!
Woo hoo!

The Primus 71L is semi-sacred to me, being the first item I purchased from REI, and next to the DW, is the hottest thing I possess...
Photos, man, we want photos (um, of the stove). I'm very curious as to which version of the 71L you have. What color is the case?

HJ
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: The Bobcat Stove System - 02/08/13 02:06 PM

Thanks Jim, the additinoal photos and video help. Interesting burner design--I can't figure out what it's sourced from.

Your video connected me to this burner, which might be the neatest alcohol stove I've ever seen.

Copper tube burner

Wowzers. Dude should do a Kickstarter and go into production.

Cheers,
Posted by: BZH

Re: The Bobcat Stove System - 02/08/13 02:57 PM

That is a cool looking stove but it sure looks heavy. At that point it seems like you might as well get yourself a white gas stove.

Re: The Bobcat Stove System - 02/08/13 03:36 PM

Originally Posted By BZH
That is a cool looking stove but it sure looks heavy. At that point it seems like you might as well get yourself a white gas stove.
No, not at all. The entire system including the pot is about 8oz. A Whisperlite by comparison weighs about 11oz, NOT including the pot or windscreen. A white gas stove setup is typically going to weigh at least double (probably more than that) what a Bobcat system will weigh.

HJ
Posted by: BZH

Re: The Bobcat Stove System - 02/08/13 04:56 PM

sorry Hikin' jim... lines of communication were crossed, I was referring to the stove Rick_D posted.