Impulse Buy Platypus bottle with Holster???

Posted by: jbylake

Impulse Buy Platypus bottle with Holster??? - 12/10/12 10:03 PM

I bought one of these collapsable platypus bottles with the insulating holster on an impulse. They were normally about $30 bucks, but was on the clearance table at Dick's for $15.00.
I thought that the bottle (1 liter) being kind of "moldable" would fit better in the mesh pockets in the side of my pack better than something like a naglene bottle. Supposedly keeps warm warm and cold cold. I thought it might be good in the winter and summer. Just curious if anyone has any experience with these? I'm planning on taking it on a "Winter" trip in Jan, in OH. I have no idea how the weather will be, but it can get very cold. Also thought it'd be cool for keeping water or gatorade cool in the summer. Just wondered if I threw away $15.00 or not. Here it is.....
Thanks,
J. sick
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Impulse Buy Platypus bottle with Holster??? - 12/10/12 10:50 PM

We're fans of these bottles, for exactly the reasons you have suggested. We like the fact that they fold up when they are empty, and even when they are partially full, eliminating that annoying gurgling noise as you hike.

We haven't tried the insulating sock...in the summer, the water is usually icy cold anyway, so we're happy to drink it at that temp!

Re: Impulse Buy Platypus bottle with Holster??? - 12/10/12 10:55 PM

Thanks...I was more concerned with it keeping water from freezing in the tent at night, or turning into slush while hiking. I don't have the temps that you'd have out west, in the Rocky Mtn's, or the North East, but it can get very, very cold here. When I say that, I mean -20 to -30 for a night or two, which would be pretty routine for a lot of you, but can make for really cold weather here. And, at 15 bucks, I thought it'd be worth a try.

J.
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: Impulse Buy Platypus bottle with Holster??? - 12/11/12 06:17 AM

I've always been a fan of the Nalgene bottles, but I've tried Platy bottles in the past, and really like them. I'm in the process of switching to a Sawyer Squeeze filter, which is made to work well with Platy bottles. I have found that, on the more open mesh of some pack pockets, that the ones with the squared off bottoms tend to get caught in the open mesh. Finer mesh or fabric pockets don't seem to have these problems.

I haven't tried the holster, but its smoother corners might solve the snagging problem.(If it does, be sure to keep a good eye on yours on our trip! smile )

One minor correction: it commonly gets to 20 or 30, sometimes hits zero or 5 below, but almost never hits 20 or 30 below around here. If it gets to 20 below on our January trip, you'll be camping by yourself - the rest of us will wimp out on you big-time! smile
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Impulse Buy Platypus bottle with Holster??? - 12/11/12 11:30 AM

I don't think they make insulation that will keep a water bottle from freezing solid overnight in temps around zero F. I am afraid that the only way to do this is to sleep with your water bottle!

Re: Impulse Buy Platypus bottle with Holster??? - 12/11/12 04:30 PM

Yes, I was typing and not watching. Temps can get down to 10 to 20, not - 20 or -30. I did move into U.D. Grad Housing once, and talked my cousin into helping me. laugh It was down to about 5 degree's and he lost one of his gloves. I had to get a Sock out for a spare glove. Took him for a steak afterwards and all was forgiven....

J.

Re: Impulse Buy Platypus bottle with Holster??? - 12/11/12 04:32 PM

Originally Posted By balzaccom
I don't think they make insulation that will keep a water bottle from freezing solid overnight in temps around zero F. I am afraid that the only way to do this is to sleep with your water bottle!

Thanks Balzaccom. The package didn't give any specific temperature range.

J.