TriWick 120hr Emergency Candle?

Posted by: Samoset

TriWick 120hr Emergency Candle? - 11/08/12 10:31 PM

Anyone ever try anything like this?

http://www.triwick.com

Do to another discussion on these forums I've been doing some thinking about the ability to heat a tent aswell as cook in one with one device! And something like this might be the answer on a three+ day hike!

Originally Posted By Jimshaw
Votive candles in those glass "jars" will heat a tent nicely - say 6 on a zero degree night. The homeless and climbers and hunters have used fires in their tents, caves and teepees for hundreds or thousands of years. The only thing unsafe is a modern stove in a modern tent. You cannot die from carbonmonoxide from candles and apparently seal oil lamps can be used in igloos without harm. I think there is a lot of old technology that would be useful to modern campers, except people think newer is better.

*1 many arctic peoples do all of their heating and cooking with a seal oil lamp - indoors.
Jim

Sorry for cutting a lot out of your post Jim but this is the bit that got me interested in giving one of these candles a shot!

Posted by: Pika

Re: TriWick 120hr Emergency Candle? - 11/09/12 08:25 AM

I have often used a candle lantern to heat a tent while winter camping. It has always amazed me how much heat, and light, they put out. It would be hard to cook with one but otherwise I have always appreciated the warmth and comfort a six ounce candle lantern can provide on a dark winter's evening.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: TriWick 120hr Emergency Candle? - 11/09/12 09:27 AM

Boil some water with it and give a report. My guess is that there isn't enough heat from the wicks to boil water. There is a good article at BPL that is free to read about candle stoves. The author had a pretty large wick in a cup like that one. So, if it were me, I would simply take out those three wicks and replace with a much larger area one. Other than that, that looks like a cool product. I should check it out myself. The advertising on the side and top is pretty funny. Of course the wicks are water proof, they are covered in wax.
Posted by: Samoset

Re: TriWick 120hr Emergency Candle? - 11/23/12 07:00 PM

If they evershow up ill do just that.
I orderd 4 as i a bulk rate and they should make decent Christmas presents.