The North Face Flint 1

Posted by: DaleInTN

The North Face Flint 1 - 11/08/12 07:22 PM

Hello everyone, I am new here and to backpacking. I went on my first trip last weekend. I really enjoyed it! I am now in the market for a tent. I am looking at The North Face Flint 1. The only question I have is how does the rain fly attach to the tent? Is it a buckle or something else? Any input would be great! Thanks.
Posted by: BZH

Re: The North Face Flint 1 - 11/08/12 07:41 PM

I am guessing it is with a grommet slipping over the end of the pole. I say that because they say you can set it up in fast pack mode (with rain fly and foot print. A pic of the footprint clearly only shows grommets. That means if it had clips there would be nothing for them to attach to in fast pack mode.

For some unrequested comments, this seems kinda heavy (almost 4 pounds) for a 1 person tent. And... people tend not to like the end entryways.

Re: The North Face Flint 1 - 11/08/12 09:14 PM

Thanks, do you have a suggestion?
Posted by: ETSU Pride

Re: The North Face Flint 1 - 11/08/12 10:06 PM

What your price range?

Re: The North Face Flint 1 - 11/08/12 10:17 PM

$140 max... Now I'm looking at the Big Agnes Lynx Pass 1. Seems to be more bang for the buck! That is the price at Campmor
Posted by: ETSU Pride

Re: The North Face Flint 1 - 11/09/12 09:33 AM

[quote=DaleInTN]$140 max... Now I'm looking at the Big Agnes Lynx Pass 1. Seems to be more bang for the buck! That is the price at Campmor [/quote

This seems like a great deal! Tarp Tent

The Big Agnes seem like a solid tent for the price. It got good features. I have a Big Agnes, but I got the Seedhouse and I love it.

Another thing, before I got the Big Agnes I was debating getting the Eureka Spitfire 1 because of its price and weight. Spitfire It's worth looking into.
Posted by: PDA

Re: The North Face Flint 1 - 11/09/12 06:15 PM

north face tents are good, but before splashing out, look at the REI passage 1, at $120. Side entry, and made of very similar materials (same weight too). Otherwise, REI garage sale. Some reast bargains there.

Re: The North Face Flint 1 - 11/10/12 07:38 PM

Thanks for the input guys, but I already ordered the Big Agnes! The tent I used last time was over 8 pounds! This is going to be much lighter. The other guy is going to get his own tent before our next trip.