Sleeping bag choices

Posted by: everlastingstorm

Sleeping bag choices - 10/21/12 11:21 PM

I am thinking about getting a new sleeping bag for backpacking trips in mostly northern California...I am new to backpacking though I hike frequently and I have gone car camping quite a few times. I do have a pack, and I have a tent.

I have a 20 degree bag that's worked for me for car camping situations. It's synthetic, apparently 2 lbs., and it is kind of bulky, but I can pack it down enough to fit into the sleeping bag compartment of my pack. However it is a very inexpensive bag I brought on sale at the sports authority, so not what one might call a great reputable bag (it's an Alpine Design, so not a north face, mountain hardwear, etc.). I'm fine with keeping it for car camping, but I would like to begin backpacking and camping in the mountains, and eventually get into mountaineering, where it would be mostly colder.

Should I bother with getting a 0 degree bag? Is it worth it being that I have the 20 that can fit into my pack? I am not looking to spend an arm and a leg, so I'm looking at synthetics. Particularly, I'm a short guy so I am looking at the Mountain Hardwear Lamina 0 deg. bag in a short from REI. Thoughts? Opinions?

Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Sleeping bag choices - 10/22/12 12:04 AM

First of all, I don't think you should buy a bag until you know where you are going. If your bag is good to 20 degrees, that's all that you would need in the Sierra from May-June until now. The conditions you will find when you are backpacing are not significantly different from those you would find car camping in Tuolumne Meadows or Ebbetts Pass, for example.

Winter is a whole different question.

But I doubt that your bag is two pounds, synthetic, and warm down to 20 degrees. The best down bags meet that criteria, but they cost hundreds of dollars.

Start with a trip that you want to take...then decide if you need any new equipment to make it happen.
Posted by: everlastingstorm

Re: Sleeping bag choices - 10/22/12 12:52 AM

Thanks. It is synthetic, has 20 degree rating (though not all 20 degree bags are necessarily created equal), probably more than 2 lbs (the specifications on the website listed it as that...but, who knows...). I used it camping at about 3,400 or so last year at Mt. Rainier National Park in early June, and I found it to be sufficient for that. The temp. at that time was probably between 30-40 degrees at night, snow was still on the ground in big chunks although it wasn't like true winter. It was comfortable, and warm with a fleece lining in the footbox and at the neck in those conditions.

I am not doing winter trips quite yet, though maybe in the future as I get more experience.
Posted by: TomD

Re: Sleeping bag choices - 10/22/12 02:44 AM

The basic rule with bags is "cheap, light, warm - pick two." Forget the rating, unless you are a polar bear, I guarantee it is total bunk. For example, two pound down bags good to 20F from Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends cost around $400.

I have a down bag rated a -5C (+23F) which I have used in Yosemite in winter with an overbag and two pads down to around +15F. I now have another bag rated to -10F from Marmot which will be warmer. For three seasons, a 20F bag should be fine, if it is an accurately rated bag like mine.

If you can, buy a decent bag. Take care it and it will last a long time. Some companies like Marmot will refill down bags for a modest price if the down gets compacted, which it may do with heavy use. I bought my last bag off of Craigslist. Some people don't like the idea of buying a used bag, but mine was like new and I sent it out to be washed, so once I did that, it looks like new. I paid half retail for it. I bought a winter parka off of eBay (the one in my picture) same deal-just over half retail (which was close to $500 new).