fuel tablet stove

Posted by: ETSU Pride

fuel tablet stove - 09/17/12 10:58 PM

Has anyone ever made a stove for fuel tablet? I'm thinking of purchasing a Esbit titanium stove for 15.00 but curious if anyone ever made one? The titanium weights .4 oz and thought it serve as a handy backup when my primary gas stove is low on fuel. There just no way you can feel an extra .4 oz stove plus fuel tablets. Versus carrying an extra gas canister in event the other burns out.
Posted by: oldranger

Re: fuel tablet stove - 09/18/12 07:02 AM

I believe I have that same titanium gadget is one of my kits. Its convenience makes it worthwhile. I often carry a few Esbits as backup, and I figure I can improvise using aluminum foil and rocks, if necessary. In dire circumstances, I could build a fire. I understand lots of can stoves can be used with Esbits, as well.
Posted by: Samoset

Re: fuel tablet stove - 09/18/12 02:22 PM

If for a emergency back up. I think these would be ideal.

http://www.campmor.com/ags-labs-esbit-emergency-stove.shtml
Posted by: JPete

Re: fuel tablet stove - 09/18/12 02:41 PM

ETSU,

These days I use Esbit whenever I'm solo, which is most of the time. It's not at all fussy. I used rocks and foil a lot and it's easy to do (two or three small rocks as windbreak/pot support and a little square of foil on the ground - to protect ground and reflect heat).

I have since bought one of the tiny titanium wing stoves and made an aluminum windscreen. The windscreen fits neatly in my pot. It has the bottom cut up about a quarter of an inch leaving three "legs" (more stable than four) on the ground and a ring of ticket-punch holes near the top. It also has a couple tabs on the end I can crimp together to hold it together.

It just curls around the pot wall on the inside for storage, overlapping about an inch and height is just short of the lid. It started life as an aluminum foil single-use roaster pan.

Cut it down with ordinary scissors, probably in less time than it took to write this. Works like a charm. I still use a piece of foil on the ground (cut in circle to fit in the bottom of my pot.

Best, jcp

Re: fuel tablet stove - 09/18/12 04:41 PM

Originally Posted By JPete
ETSU,

These days I use Esbit whenever I'm solo, which is most of the time. It's not at all fussy. I used rocks and foil a lot and it's easy to do (two or three small rocks as windbreak/pot support and a little square of foil on the ground - to protect ground and reflect heat).

I have since bought one of the tiny titanium wing stoves and made an aluminum windscreen. The windscreen fits neatly in my pot. It has the bottom cut up about a quarter of an inch leaving three "legs" (more stable than four) on the ground and a ring of ticket-punch holes near the top. It also has a couple tabs on the end I can crimp together to hold it together.

It just curls around the pot wall on the inside for storage, overlapping about an inch and height is just short of the lid. It started life as an aluminum foil single-use roaster pan.

Cut it down with ordinary scissors, probably in less time than it took to write this. Works like a charm. I still use a piece of foil on the ground (cut in circle to fit in the bottom of my pot.

Best, jcp

Yeah! I was thinking about those too, using rocks for pot support, aluminum foil as a windscreen, etc.

This is the pot support I'm looking at: http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___81259
Posted by: JPete

Re: fuel tablet stove - 09/18/12 04:47 PM

ETSU,

Yeah, that's the critter I'm using these days (though from different supplier). Works fine, though you do need windscreen (I think a bit of foil for reflection under it helps as well - though I have not tested that theory.

best, jcp
Posted by: PerryMK

Re: fuel tablet stove - 09/18/12 07:03 PM

I just came across this today. It may be the first real innovation in solid fuel stoves since the wing stove.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Epicurean-Ti...=item35bf7e4930

Posted by: ndwoods

Re: fuel tablet stove - 09/21/12 01:51 AM

Wow. .4 oz? Of course the regular one only weighs 3 oz...but .4 oz? Cool. All I use is esbit....I googled and looked at it...make sure you bring enuf foil for windbreak. They blow out easy....

Re: fuel tablet stove - 09/21/12 05:35 PM

Originally Posted By PerryMK
I just came across this today. It may be the first real innovation in solid fuel stoves since the wing stove.

I'm curious if the stove is ment to be flipped for simmering? Is that a handle sticking out of the side?

Re: fuel tablet stove - 09/21/12 05:49 PM

Originally Posted By Samoset
Originally Posted By PerryMK

I'm curious if the stove is ment to be flipped for simmering? Is that a handle sticking out of the side?

Nevermind answerd my own questions!
Posted by: verber

Re: fuel tablet stove - 09/24/12 12:35 PM

I use esbits (or other sold fuel) for all my 3 season solo trips. There is a article on thru-hiker about correct height for esbits stoves I tried esbits a number of times and didn't like them until I tried them inside a Caldera Cone system... and was sold. I have a few notes about using solid fuel stoves.

--mark

Re: fuel tablet stove - 09/24/12 12:38 PM

Originally Posted By verber
I use esbits (or other sold fuel) for all my 3 season solo trips. There is a article on thru-hiker about correct height for esbits stoves I tried esbits a number of times and didn't like them until I tried them inside a Caldera Cone system... and was sold. I have a few notes about using solid fuel stoves.

--mark

Thanks for posting this information.
Posted by: Cranman

Re: fuel tablet stove - 09/24/12 12:41 PM

Holy cow Verber, I bookmarked your site, there's tons of information there. Thanks!

Re: fuel tablet stove - 09/26/12 05:59 PM

I was in Knoxville today and they had the Esbit Titanium wing stove at a local outfitter. I picked it and a box of fuel cube. I'm going play with it. See how long a cup of water boils with and without a windscreen, etc. I need something to do in the evening while sitting around the house as I got nothing to study for at the moment. grin
Posted by: PerryMK

Re: fuel tablet stove - 09/26/12 06:15 PM

I just tested Esbit in three setups.

1. A wing stove using a small pot in a large pot/windscreen, all Ti.
This worked the best so far.

2. A wing stove in a stainless steel Kelly Kettle.
Boil not reached

3. A Swiss Volcano stove with Esbit stand made of Aluminum.
Worked OK but tippy.

I plan to conntinue having my fun with the various canteen cup stoves on the shelf. I have 3 or 4 different styles of canteen cup stove.