ENLIGHTENED EQUIPTMENT QUILT?

Posted by: C3PHA5

ENLIGHTENED EQUIPTMENT QUILT? - 08/31/12 04:01 AM

Hello, this is my first post, exciting to join the community. I was reading about these quilts and im really liking what I see. I am also currently looking to buy a bag or quilt for a winter trip, extreme temps looking to be around 0 degrees F.

Ouatchita forest in arkansas.

Would this be a good alternative to a 3 to $400 mummy bag? Is going to keep me warm? I have never even seen one before actually. Im trying to go as light as possible on my trip and cover as much ground as I can.

Any advice is much appreciated.
Posted by: Cranman

Re: ENLIGHTENED EQUIPTMENT QUILT? - 08/31/12 07:54 AM

I don't have experience with the EE quilts but I did use a ray-way quilt on my last camping trip, and had always used traditional sleeping bags before that. One thing for me that I was not sure about was the fact that I usually sleep in underwear and that put me directly on my sleeping pad which was ok. I might be worried about that in very low temp's but in those cases I could wear a base layer.

I don't see a downside myself, and there is a big upside in weight savings and cost too it seems.

Otherwise the quilt worked great. I am a restless sleeper and the freedom of movement was nice.

Recently I e-mailed Jacks are Better and Enlightened Equipment to get some feedback from them since I was considering their quilts and also the golite quilt. Tim with EE replied immediatly and answered all questions to follow, JRB never replied. If/when I order a quilt I plan to go with a E.E. quilt. For myself, I think the 30F Relevation X in long/wide was right at $200 and I am sure it would function fine as a 3 maybe 4 season quilt, and weighs right at 21oz, I feel like that is a great value.
Posted by: hikerduane

Re: ENLIGHTENED EQUIPTMENT QUILT? - 08/31/12 08:54 AM

Tim at EE has a great deal on seconds material. A long thread going over on Backpacking Light. Some people prefer a bag in very cold conditions, I would agree although I have not ever owned a quilt. When I replace my existing bag, I may opt for a quilt, the weight savings for a side sleeper is not much, but cost is quite a bit less if going with EE's deal on second material, as long as that lasts. Hope you come back to reply.
Duane
Posted by: lori

Re: ENLIGHTENED EQUIPTMENT QUILT? - 08/31/12 09:35 AM

The Jacks are backpackers, remember.

I never had a problem getting responses from them. Part of why I ordered two of their quilts.
Posted by: Ewker

Re: ENLIGHTENED EQUIPTMENT QUILT? - 08/31/12 10:59 AM

Originally Posted By lori
The Jacks are backpackers, remember.

I never had a problem getting responses from them. Part of why I ordered two of their quilts.

I feel the same way about hammockgear quilts. They make top notch quilts

Re: ENLIGHTENED EQUIPTMENT QUILT? - 08/31/12 05:26 PM

Thanks for the input, it sounds like a great value to me. I just wanted to see if what some others thought. What type of sleeping pad should I pair with this, closed cell foam? 1/2"?

Posted by: Cranman

Re: ENLIGHTENED EQUIPTMENT QUILT? - 08/31/12 08:00 PM

You could go with whatever you find as acceptable comfort. As for me I have used a thermarest ridge rest in the past but last trip I used a Exped air mattress/pad and it was alot more comfortable than the foam thermarest. I think if you use a quilt you may need a little better of a pad since you won't have a sleeping bag under you.

Re: ENLIGHTENED EQUIPTMENT QUILT? - 08/31/12 08:54 PM

I agree on needing a good pad what are the pros and cons of air vs foam? Seems like air would have less conductive heat loss?

Re: ENLIGHTENED EQUIPTMENT QUILT? - 08/31/12 09:21 PM

Originally Posted By hikerduane
Tim at EE has a great deal on seconds material.

what is seconds material? like reused??

Re: ENLIGHTENED EQUIPTMENT QUILT? - 08/31/12 09:25 PM

Nevermind I just went on their site. Thanks for the info.
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: ENLIGHTENED EQUIPTMENT QUILT? - 08/31/12 10:16 PM

Hey, there's a backpacker's gathering down in at Dierks, AR. Oct. 26, 27 & 28th.

I won't be going this year, but I went last year and met a lot of great people there and got to see some and learn some cool stuff. Definitely worth the trip if you can make it.

You can find out more here about it.

I'm going to try again to get down to Haw Creek this Fall, I still haven't been there, but it's on my short list. That and Moccasin Creek off of Hwy 7. I've been there a few times, but only for short day hikes. The Ouachitas are pretty sweet.