Axe/Hammer combo

Posted by: Rik

Axe/Hammer combo - 07/05/12 05:44 PM

Anyone have any suggestions for an axe/hammer combo? Looking for one tool to do both jobs.
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: Axe/Hammer combo - 07/05/12 06:08 PM

You'll probably want to give us a little more information about why you're interested in this - trail maintenance? car camping? something else?

This site is mostly about lightweight backpacking; usually, when the subject of an axe comes up, most of the responses are along the lines of "why in the world would you take an axe (or a hammer) backpacking?"

Knowing what you'll be doing with such a tool might help us give you a different, and perhaps more helpful, answer.
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Axe/Hammer combo - 07/05/12 09:21 PM

Carpenters hatchet or roofing hatchet is just that.

Cheers,
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: Axe/Hammer combo - 07/05/12 09:34 PM

I've got the Estwing roofing hatchet, but I wouldn't call it lightweight - of course, some weight is needed or you can't get anything pounded/chopped.
Posted by: PerryMK

Re: Axe/Hammer combo - 07/06/12 04:58 AM

Stiletto DRYAXE9-P 9 oz. Titanium Drywall Axe with Poly-Fiberglass Handle

Re: Axe/Hammer combo - 07/06/12 12:41 PM

What, no carbon fiber shaft? eek That's so cool I want one even though I have no need for it. I shudder to think what it costs, though.

Cheers,
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Axe/Hammer combo - 07/09/12 12:25 PM

Any axe/hatchet is an axe/hammer combo. You can even use a double bit to drive nails. I never use or carry one backpacking. If I have to use something other than my feet to push in tent stakes, time to move somewhere else. I use a club for hitting things that need hitting (find a fat stick).
Posted by: Franco

Re: Axe/Hammer combo - 07/27/12 01:44 AM

No need to shudder, just click the link...
Anyway the Gransfors Mini Belt Hatchet is the way to go , only 12 oz...
Franco
Posted by: Steadman

Re: Axe/Hammer combo - 08/01/12 10:07 AM

I got a good one from Sears a couple years back. Full hammer head on one side, nice blade on the other. 18 inch hickory handle, so lots of leverage to chop wood or drive nails. Craftsman make. Only cost around 20-30 bucks 12 years ago.

I've rehafted it once. Works well for camp chores, but I don't carry it backpacking - mostly useless weight for those purposes. I would carry it for trail maintenace, however.

Gerber also makes a neat system, but I don't recall them having hammer heads on the back end of the axe blade...
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Axe/Hammer combo - 08/02/12 11:42 AM

Well, if we are making recommendations....

I have been looking at this guy for a while.
tomahawk
Mostly for throwing, but also for bushcrafty stuff. It says it weighs 23 oz. You can leave the handle at home and cut some weight by making a handle in the woods.
Posted by: Franco

Re: Axe/Hammer combo - 08/06/12 08:31 PM

This is an interesting (and affordable...) option coming out early next year :
http://zippooutdoor.com/4-in-1-woodsman/
I don't have the weight so that will determine just how useful it will be.
possibly made by Fiskars
(BTW, no not for backpacking but for camping,for exampe the wood stove inside the tent brigade).

Franco
Posted by: phat

Re: Axe/Hammer combo - 08/06/12 11:26 PM

Honestly, I carry a small "hand axe" in the winter a lot, as I go where I can make fires. I am weight conscious in the winter but not ultralight. I am more or less dead set against "hatchets" - they are too small to be useful. Somthing akin to the small granfors forest axe is good, (I have one) and the cheaper and just about as good alternative is the smaller size fiskars axe. (with the 19 inch handle).

I'm not really convinced about the "combination" thing - looks too gimpy to be good at either, and "small" axes and saws really are at the edge of usefulness.

when on a sled I take the small axe and a medium size bow saw with a good blade.

Now, having said that, outside of deepest hardcore winter - this is a lightweight backpacking forum! I don't carry an axe normally (I break wood with my hands) and I certainly don't carry a hammer. (I've been known to pick up a rock or a log to bash in my tent stakes).
Posted by: Samoset

Axe,knife,hammer crobar combo - 08/07/12 01:32 AM

Not to sure if this counts!
http://www.kabar.com/knives/detail/7

But I might just get one in case some of u turns zombie on me wink
Posted by: lostagain

Re: Axe/Hammer combo - 08/10/12 03:47 PM

there's also something like this:

Tomahawk combat axe

only weighs 9 oz.
Posted by: PerryMK

Re: Axe/Hammer combo - 10/24/12 04:38 PM

I hate to ressurect old threads, but I came across a new option, only 4.4 oz.

http://www.suluk46.com/RandD%20-%20RD34%20Titanium%20Axe.html

Re: Axe/Hammer combo - 10/24/12 06:04 PM

That's ridiculous. Ridiculously awesome! (But, ow, my poor hand.)

Cheers,
Posted by: Samoset

Re: Axe/Hammer combo - 10/24/12 07:10 PM

Holly axes Batman that is ridiculously cool!