MLD Exodus + Peak Elite 72" Pad vs. ULA AirX?

Posted by: KillJoy

MLD Exodus + Peak Elite 72" Pad vs. ULA AirX? - 04/04/12 04:21 PM

Hello all! I'm getting my FIRST pack and would like more experienced opinions!

MLD Exodus + Peak Elite 72" Pad
OR
ULA AirX

I am sure I cannot go wrong w/ either system, but, which would you pick over the other, and why?

I know the AirX's pad is 41" vs the Peak Elite's 72". Anything else to sway one way vs the other?

Thanks!

KillJoy
Posted by: BZH

Re: MLD Exodus + Peak Elite 72" Pad vs. ULA AirX? - 04/04/12 06:55 PM

You can definitely go wrong with either system. A pack is all about fit. Which one fits you? That's the one to get.... not what somebody else says they like.

Re: MLD Exodus + Peak Elite 72" Pad vs. ULA AirX? - 04/04/12 09:18 PM

Ok... both "fit".

Now what?

laugh

KillJoy
Posted by: Glenn

Re: MLD Exodus + Peak Elite 72" Pad vs. ULA AirX? - 04/04/12 10:24 PM

If both fit equally well, you get the luxury of choosing the better feature set. Here, the best thing to do is take your gear to the store, and pack them both as though you were heading out for a typical trip. With these two packs, that may not be possible, so you'll have to do a "virtual" packing by what's on the website.

You're trying to figure out which pack fits your packing style, which is driven to a great extent by how you hike: do you need pockets for camera gear, snacks, route-finding equipment (GPS or map and compass), water bottle, water filter, and other things you use a lot while you're walking? Do you want a lid pocket to keep all the little stuff in? Or are you the type who doesn't get into the pack much during the day, and doesn't need pockets?

If you could post how you pack and use your pack during the day, maybe some of the folks who use these two packs could give you an idea of which works better. (I'm not familiar with either pack.

Good luck.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: MLD Exodus + Peak Elite 72" Pad vs. ULA AirX? - 04/04/12 11:00 PM

Important--how much weight do you expect to carry (including the pack)?
Posted by: lori

Re: MLD Exodus + Peak Elite 72" Pad vs. ULA AirX? - 04/05/12 12:19 AM

Where are you going? What season?

Mandated food storage? Bear canisters are a frequent joy killer when it comes to ultralight backpacks. But they are absolutely necessary where they are required, and don't let the ultralight extremists tell you otherwise.
Posted by: JPete

Re: MLD Exodus + Peak Elite 72" Pad vs. ULA AirX? - 04/05/12 04:55 PM

KillJoy,

You have gotten the key questions (weight, style, destination, and above all, fit). I have no experience with the pads mentioned nor with ULA packs, but I have a modified (for fit) MLD Burn (a smaller version of the Exodus). I'm just getting back on the trail after a lengthy health break and I carried it with 26 lbs. on a long day (because I carried some gear for a partner). I was very tired (my first time out in two years), but not any concern at all with the pack...it carried beautifully, even overloaded. Barely noticed I had it on.

The other plus factor is dealing with Ron. Along with several other "cottage makers" He's one of the good guys. Very experienced, innovative, thoughtful and helpful.

The downside is that he does his own manufacturing and his work is popular. Wait times in spring can run a couple of months. I found it was well worth the wait.

best, jcp

Re: MLD Exodus + Peak Elite 72" Pad vs. ULA AirX? - 04/05/12 08:08 PM

To answer everyone's questions:

I am just starting. This will be my first pack. I like to spend $$$ once, so... go big or go home!

Many of the questions have helped me try and determine what I want, so that helps!

I am glad there have not been and "do not get ***". So....

Thanks all!

KillJoy
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: MLD Exodus + Peak Elite 72" Pad vs. ULA AirX? - 04/06/12 02:43 AM

We still need to know the weight you plan to carry. These packs won't support as much weight as a fully framed pack. Maybe 25 lbs. A similar pack with stays (such as a Six Moon Designs Starlite) or a ULA Circuit will support up to the low 30's.

Re: MLD Exodus + Peak Elite 72" Pad vs. ULA AirX? - 04/06/12 09:30 AM

If my math is right, I should be in the 20-25lbs range including the Pack and water.

KillJoy
Posted by: lori

Re: MLD Exodus + Peak Elite 72" Pad vs. ULA AirX? - 04/06/12 09:41 AM

If you don't have the gear yet, you don't know that. Manufacturers aren't accurate in posting weights.
Posted by: Keith

Re: MLD Exodus + Peak Elite 72" Pad vs. ULA AirX? - 04/06/12 11:08 AM

Another nomination for "ultimate" pack -- which is also salable if you don't like it -- is the luxurylite pack. They are at luxurylite.com

I currently have 4 of them . . .
Posted by: camelcarlson

Re: MLD Exodus + Peak Elite 72" Pad vs. ULA AirX? - 04/24/12 02:04 PM

I have using the Ula Airx for a while now, and this is by far the most comfortable backpack I have used. The pack is relatively large (I have packed for a 2 week trip carrying all my food and this was no problem at all) The large volume of the pack has both pros and cons, like everything else. I typically do not need that much space, but the pack is relatively compressible. My typical weight range is about 22-30 lbs for 3-5 backpacking trips and this pack handles this weight with such ease and comfort that i forget that I have it on. The pack moves very well, and the Kylmit sleeping pad creates an "airy" feeling in the backpanel which provides exceptional comfort. Anyways, backpacks are all personal. Some work great for some and not others. The ULA Airx is my go-to pack from anything from an overnighter to a thru-hike of the PNWT. Cheers!