Aluminum JetBoil Sol -- Cooking in the Cup?

Posted by: Hikin Jim

Aluminum JetBoil Sol -- Cooking in the Cup? - 03/16/12 01:52 PM

If you saw my earlier cooking reports, I did some fancier cooking (omelettes) in Cooking Report #1 and Cooking Report #2 -- but I didn't use the Jetboil Sol's "cup." I used a nice MSR Blacklite fry pan.

But, what about the Jetboil Sol's cup? Is it only good for boiling water? Or can it do a little more?

I thought I'd find out.

Please join me for Aluminum JetBoil Sol -- Cooking in the Cup as I try the aluminum Jetboil Sol's cup out on a hopefully representative trail type meal.

HJ
Posted by: BradMT

Re: Aluminum JetBoil Sol -- Cooking in the Cup? - 03/16/12 05:07 PM

Well, I wouldn't exactly call that cooking... laugh
Posted by: immortal.ben

Re: Aluminum JetBoil Sol -- Cooking in the Cup? - 03/17/12 07:39 PM

Cooking is applying heat or cold in order to change an ingredient or ingredients into some form other than what they were before. This example just happens to be a very simple form of cooking.

Just thought I would throw that out there since I have a degree in Culinary Arts.

Re: Aluminum JetBoil Sol -- Cooking in the Cup? - 03/17/12 08:48 PM

And wisdom is the ability to use knowledge correctly.

ie., I wouldn't call boiling water and chucking in a prepackaged entree "cooking"... but I likely have a different standard.

Re: Aluminum JetBoil Sol -- Cooking in the Cup? - 03/17/12 09:15 PM

Originally Posted By BradMT
Well, I wouldn't exactly call that cooking... laugh
Yeah, well, it's not exactly Le Cordon Bleu cooking, now is it.

Here's where I was coming from: Some people seem to think that the only thing that a Jetboil is good for is boiling water. The purpose of preparing a simple trail style meal was just to show that a Jetboil can do more.

Did you see Trail Report #1 and Trail Report #2?

Now THAT's cooking. (burp) smile

HJ

Re: Aluminum JetBoil Sol -- Cooking in the Cup? - 03/17/12 10:58 PM

Jim, I think you know I'm a die-hard jetboil fan... been using two since they came out. The standard-issue pot, however, really is not a cooking pot IME.

Re: Aluminum JetBoil Sol -- Cooking in the Cup? - 03/17/12 11:52 PM

Oh, I see what you mean. Definitely agree.

The GCS pot isn't bad.

With the little universal pot support that comes with the JB, you can use any pot, pan, or kettle. The omelette shown above was done on a Jetboil but in an MSR Blacklite pan.

HJ
Posted by: immortal.ben

Re: Aluminum JetBoil Sol -- Cooking in the Cup? - 03/18/12 12:28 AM

Funny that you mention Le Cordon Bleu.. that is where I obtained my culinary degree.