Outsak contest

Posted by: topshot

Outsak contest - 01/30/12 05:12 PM

When they reach 100 Likes they're giving away an Outsak UL prototype (or maybe a production one now).

Outsak FB page

FYI, they're also having a sale Feb 1-2.
Posted by: Kent W

Re: Outsak contest - 01/30/12 08:29 PM

HUH!!!!!!!!!!! More Spam?

Re: Outsak contest - 01/30/12 08:47 PM

Originally Posted By Kent W
HUH!!!!!!!!!!! More Spam?
Sorry you don't find it relevant. They are similar in concept to Ursack, Ratsack and Grubpack. Very nice for those who travel in areas that aren't easy to hang your food.
Posted by: Glenn

Re: Outsak contest - 01/30/12 10:14 PM

A friend of mine brought one along on an overnighter we took this weekend. It looked like the metal mesh it's made of might be a tad light to withstand bears - but don't take that as an informed opinion: first, I've not camped in bear country and don't know how sturdy such containers need to be, and second, I don't know if the one he brought is the heaviest gauge they make.

It definitely looked like it would withstand a raccoon or other camp robber, though.
Posted by: lori

Re: Outsak contest - 01/30/12 10:29 PM

They're not made for bears, and wouldn't even pass muster in "canister required" areas because they could get teeth through the mesh and mash up the sack and enclosed food, and get a taste, which is considered a food reward. I don't think it would do more than slow a bear down - bears that can tear off car doors would not be deterred.

The Outsak is just the ticket for ravens, squirrels, mice, etc. tho.
Posted by: Hikin Jim

Re: Outsak contest - 01/30/12 10:43 PM

Originally Posted By topshot
When they reach 100 Likes they're giving away an Outsak UL prototype (or maybe a production one now).
I put my "like" on file. They're over 100 now.

HJ
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Outsak contest - 01/31/12 03:55 PM

My understanding is that the Outsack is strictly to keep out the rodents. I've read that it's often used in places like the Grand Canyon

Re: Outsak contest - 01/31/12 04:32 PM

Originally Posted By OregonMouse
My understanding is that the Outsack is strictly to keep out the rodents. I've read that it's often used in places like the Grand Canyon
Yes, it is not bear-proof, just like the others I mentioned above (Ursack minor is what I was referring to in this case - apparently the normal Ursack is somewhat bear proof).