Miniworks direct connection to Camelbak?

Posted by: Rooster Boy

Miniworks direct connection to Camelbak? - 01/27/12 11:04 PM

Hello all! Hopefully there's snow where at you're locale, and you're fully enjoying some epic snow shoeing... not much luck for me sad to say :-\

This last year I carried 2-4 nalgenes depending on distance/weather. Extra weight, but verrry rugged, more freeze proof than a camel hose, and attaches to my miniworks filter with minimal exposure to cross contamination. I know there's lighter ways of cleaning water, but the miniworks is what I have for now so I'm looking at going back to a Camelbak to shed weight. At 5.5 oz I think I could drop almost a pound if I made the switch. My only hang-up is being able to treat water while backpacking, and avoiding that cross contamination bit. (if there are other hang-ups please enlighten me!)

But I think I have an idea...

The new camelbak system has a detachable hose that utilizes a "quick link" locking mechanism to keep it attached. It makes it easier to swap hoses for different applications.

What if I attached a 1-2" length of hose fitted with a male quick link connector on the end to the outlet fitting on my miniworks? I could remove the drinking hose from the camel, snap on the filter via the 2" hose and adapter, and pump filtered water in to the bladder through the outlet instead of the filling port. The hose attachment on the miniworks might be small enough to fit under the outlet cap, which would help to keep it muck free when no in use...

I realize MSR makes a bladder that screws right on to the miniworks, but I heard they're prone to leaking. If its going in my pack, its gotta be dry...

Any ideas? I'm not planning on trying this till things get above freezing in the Green Mntns, but if some one in the South gave it a go I'd love to hear about it :-D

THANKS!!!

Rooster Boy

GO GMC!
Posted by: Glenn

Re: Miniworks direct connection to Camelbak? - 01/27/12 11:17 PM

I've used the Dromlites for many years, and they've never leaked. I've used them inside my pack to transport water to a dry camp. About 10 years ago, I used one with the "hydration kit" attachment for a summer, and never had any problem (I gave it up because I just don't like hose systems.) I used a Dromlite with a retrofit kit, not the "Hydromedary" version they also sell - but the Hydromedary looks to be about the same, and have a screw-on top that will mate to the Miniworks directly.

As with any bladder, when you first get it, you want to fill it at home and let it sit in an empty bucket overnight, just to be sure there are no leaks.

By the way, based on my own personal, decidedly unscientific, experience the Miniworks may not be the lightest, but it's the most functional and reliable. There are some things that are worth a bit of extra weight. (Don't tell the rest of the folks on the forums I said that. smile )
Posted by: Rooster Boy

Re: Miniworks direct connection to Camelbak? - 01/28/12 07:25 PM

3 L Hydromedary = 7.1oz
3 L Camelbak = 5.5 oz, miniworks hose adapter 0.1 oz.
thats 1.5 oz less for the Camel.

I guess this could turn into a durability thread...
Posted by: lori

Re: Miniworks direct connection to Camelbak? - 01/28/12 08:43 PM

That might work if there is a way to also let air out while you are pumping to filter into the bladder.

If you use a pump filter with a bladder in this manner you will also be pumping air in, and it needs somewhere to escape.

Let's just say I know how really awfully strong a Platypus Big Zip is... it stretches quite a lot, and survives being blown up like a balloon to three times its size without issues. Thank goodness. Still doesn't leak, for all that torture.