Zipperless warm midlayer/sweater/jacket?

Posted by: Erog

Zipperless warm midlayer/sweater/jacket? - 11/01/11 06:34 PM

I have a dilemma that I'm hoping you guys can help out with.

I have recently become a father - I love carrying my son around in his ergo, but as fall rolls around it's starting to get colder. The problem is that every sweater or warm midlayer I have contains a zipper. When I carry the kid, he naps on my chest - resulting in what I call "Zipper Face". Not such a great look to have a zipper imprinted on your cheek.

So I've searched through all the gear websites, Marmot, North Face, Arcteryx, smartwool, etc., but it's been impossible to find a warm layer that doesn't come with either full zip, 1/2 zip, or 1/4 zip.

My current options are:
- Carry him in the back: sucks because I don't see his adorable face.
- Buy a super - sized jacket that can wrap around both of us: Not a long term solution because he might grow out of it.
- Be cold: (current option)

So - does anyone know of a good sweater (fleece or merino) that doesn't have that zipper?

Thanks in advance
Posted by: ringtail

Re: Zipperless warm midlayer/sweater/jacket? - 11/01/11 06:55 PM

Melanzana has a good selection of hoodies. I very much prefer pullover coats, but they are getting hard to find.

http://melanzana.com/
Posted by: Glenn

Re: Zipperless warm midlayer/sweater/jacket? - 11/01/11 09:15 PM

Is a midweight wool layer, perhaps worn over a T-shirt, warm enough? If so, Smartwool makes a long sleeve, midweight crew:

http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/pr...08_10000001_-1_

I wear Smartwool microweight (lightweight?) T shirt under the half-zip version of the above, and it's warm while hiking down to about 40 or 45 degrees (depends on wind.)
Posted by: Erog

Re: Zipperless warm midlayer/sweater/jacket? - 11/01/11 09:47 PM

Thanks for the suggestion ringtail, the windproof hoodie looks like a good choice.

Have you had personal experience with it? How about their customer service/return policy?

Glenn - that's what I primarily use today, I double up on colder days, and just bear it if it gets windy.
Posted by: phat

Re: Zipperless warm midlayer/sweater/jacket? - 11/01/11 11:09 PM

Originally Posted By Erog

So - does anyone know of a good sweater (fleece or merino) that doesn't have that zipper?

.. I got lots of good wool sweaters without I just don't get them from big box manufacturers. I've gotten mine at thrift stores, eddie bauer, farmers markets, wool shops in ireland, men's dress clothing stores

I sort of take great delight in having a "accident" with cashemere/merino dress sweaters. "oh darn dear it has a little hole - I'll just sew it up and use it for backpacking"..
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Zipperless warm midlayer/sweater/jacket? - 11/02/11 12:55 AM

I vote for a pullover alpaca sweater...and something larger around you both.

And we want photos.
Posted by: frenchie

Re: Zipperless warm midlayer/sweater/jacket? - 11/02/11 04:35 AM

Ha! "Zipper face" made me giggle..
Why don't you simply wear a wool/fleece scarf? It's soft and cosy for littleone's face, and can prove useful with small "accidents"...
Posted by: Steadman

Re: Zipperless warm midlayer/sweater/jacket? - 11/02/11 08:47 AM

Try putting a burp cloth between you and he. It'll save your clothes, and it is a good, temporary solution to a problem that you and he will grow out of. As he gets longer, you'll find that his head starts to push into your chin... which is cute, until he starts to do the woodpecker manuever with his head into your face (tears all around). This will drive alternate carrying solutions.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Zipperless warm midlayer/sweater/jacket? - 11/03/11 03:06 PM

Originally Posted By Steadman
Try putting a burp cloth between you and he. It'll save your clothes, and it is a good, temporary solution to a problem that you and he will grow out of. As he gets longer, you'll find that his head starts to push into your chin... which is cute, until he starts to do the woodpecker manuever with his head into your face (tears all around). This will drive alternate carrying solutions.

Steadman is right on. It also won't be long when he won't want to be facing you, but facing out. This usually happens when their neck is strong enough to support their head. And, by the time they can sit up, then you want to carry them on your back because they are so freakin' heavy. smile

Posted by: Steadman

Re: Zipperless warm midlayer/sweater/jacket? - 11/03/11 04:13 PM

Mine are long and skinny, but I still ran into that same leverage issue by about by 6 months of age. After that, they generally carried better on the back due to weight unless I loaded up a backpack to counterbalance them. Shedding heat also became an issue with a baby on my stomach and a daypack on my back.

The Ergo carrier is a COOL carrier, by the way - my wife likes it way better than the massive Kelty backpack I use when I'm hiking, and I'm coming around to her way of thinking.