Two water resistant layers

Posted by: lars

Two water resistant layers - 09/10/11 10:33 PM

I haven't posted in a long time (work, business trip, work...rinse, lather, repeat).

Does anyone have experience how pairing two water resistant layers works in extended or heavy rain? I did a pretty successful shower test, but here in CA there's no way to test in in real weather right now.
I'm going on a month long trip through Tibet, China, and Nepal and I'm torn between two outerwear choices: 9oz micro fleece or poly jacket+11oz event jacket, or 15oz Powershield hoody+ 5oz nylon windbreaker. Since the temps vary so much, I'd prefer the second one, but I'm worried what happens if I get caught in some extended rain. No climbing, but some 2-3 days hikes.

Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Two water resistant layers - 09/11/11 12:17 AM

Hi Lars,

If you went with option 2, might you also take a poncho-tarp for a dual-use shelter rainwear option? That would give you garments' breathability in less wet conditions with the poncho as backup to protect you and your pack during downpours, as well as providing a shelter option if needed.

I've never found a perfect way to stay dry in chronic rain lasting days, despite all our hightech fabrics.

Sounds like a great trip!
Posted by: ringtail

Re: Two water resistant layers - 09/11/11 11:00 AM

I would trust option #1 more than #2.

But Rick D is right. In a prolonged rain sometimes the best you can do is hike warm and wet and sleep dry and warm.

On a 35 degree morning changing from dry sleeping clothes to a shirt that is still wet from the previous day is...brisk, but that may be what you need to do.