EMS Sleeping Bag??

Posted by: Banjopickin

EMS Sleeping Bag?? - 06/14/11 06:01 PM

Hey Ya'll,

Looking to get a new sleeping bag and stumbled upon this Eastern Mountain Sports bag. It seems like a good bag with alot of the qualities (weight, insulation, etc.) of more expensive bags. Is anyone familiar with EMS's brand of gear? Being from the South I dont know anyone using their brand of gear. Id really like a Western Mountaineering bag or one from Montbell but they're too much $$$. Heres the specific sleeping bag I was looking at: http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4434443&cp=3677338.11326791

Thanks for any feedback.
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: EMS Sleeping Bag?? - 06/14/11 06:55 PM

I don't know that bag but the specs are very good and EMS is a reputable shop. 2.2 lbs for a 15-degree bag is very light and the price isn't bad.

A question: do you really need a 15-degree bag? For general 3-season backpacking it's a lot of bag, but if you're going high or pushing the seasons it could be a good choice.

Cheers,
Posted by: Kent W

Re: EMS Sleeping Bag?? - 06/14/11 08:31 PM

EMS if it is Eastern Mountain Sports has been around for years! I beleive they even had a store in Dekalb IL. some 30years ago or so? I think that is where my old snow lion MT,Light bag came from. This bag was a awsome piece of gear, though synthetic fill. If that down bag, is as good as my 30 plus year old synthetic? She would be a keeper!
Posted by: Banjopickin

Re: EMS Sleeping Bag?? - 06/14/11 08:47 PM

well,

I do quite a bit of fall/winter backpacking up around 5000 feet and higher. We can have anywhere from 1/2" to 3+ feet of snow at the very top of some of our higher mountains. Temperarutes can range from mid-forties to well into the single digits at night throughout fall/winter. Im looking for a warm, compact, quality lightweight bag that I can use in warmer temps and the coldest nights. Warm temp. trips I wont need a sleeping layer and can use it unzipped to keep cool. Really cold trips I wear my rain gear and sleeping layers. This bag seemed like a decent all around bag with good specs and a good price. I use a homemade quilt from April-August. September-March I need a good all around bag that can handle a variety of temps. The search continues...