Trying to decide between two bivys

Posted by: Alex Frost

Trying to decide between two bivys - 04/28/11 05:12 AM

So backcountry.com has the Black Diamond Big Wall and Hooped Bivy on sale and I'm considering picking one or the other up, probably in a long.

The site says that they weigh the same but that the big wall is much more compactable. I really like the look of the big wall more than the hooped but it seems strange that it would be so much more expensive. Though if I do buy a long the big wall ends up being only $8 more expensive.

Anyone want to chime in on the pro's and cons of either bivy? I'll be using them for hiking on the cali coast(either with a tarp or without) and probably some mountaineering next year once I can afford the lessons and gear (shasta, lassen, etc).

Or should I say the heck with it and buy a marmot alpinist, saving both weight and money but possibly getting eaten by bugs?
Posted by: oldranger

Re: Trying to decide between two bivys - 04/28/11 07:35 AM

I would go with the more compact model, especially if you contemplate mountaineering. In the long run, the added expense will be trivial. The bivvy sack left behind in the gear closet is the really expensive item.