Light Fast Hammock and Tarp Rigging

Posted by: Kent W

Light Fast Hammock and Tarp Rigging - 04/19/11 11:22 AM

On my recent Smokies trip another backpacker had a Eno tricked out as was posted in another topic. My son found a web site where these riggings could be checked out and bought. Maybe some of you wouldlike this info.I have not tried this light weight system personally. I can tell you I was impressed with what I saw in the field. The guy that had this system ranted and raved about it? Here is a link if any fellow Hammock users are interested.
http://www.whoopieslings.com/
The figurenines are really cool! Figure nines are available at backcountry as well.
Posted by: lori

Re: Light Fast Hammock and Tarp Rigging - 04/19/11 11:58 AM

I've had whoopie slings for a while now. Very easy to use and quick to adjust. Much, much lighter than all that strapping.
Posted by: Trailrunner

Re: Light Fast Hammock and Tarp Rigging - 04/19/11 01:09 PM

Yep, whoopies are on the cutting edge of hammock technology. If you have the time and patience you can even make your own.

If hanging from live trees just be sure to still use webbing on the section against the bark. Whoopies alone will tear up trees.
Posted by: Jimshaw

Re: Light Fast Hammock and Tarp Rigging - 04/19/11 03:16 PM

I use a single suspension line about 30 feet long that has a whoopie on each end that gives about 8 feet of adjustment on each end. It is made of 4,000 pound test spectra so it can be cranked as tightly as you wish, and the hammock hangs from that line, attached to it with - you guessed it - 2 more whoopies, one on each end of the hammock, so the angle and level of hang can be adjusted at the hammock vs at the tree. Be careful that you don't tighten things up too tightly and discover the next day that it impossible to loosen enough to remove. Don't ask me how I know this... cool
Jim
4,000 pound test spectra can be had on ebay and it is extremely light and yet is large enough to "get a hold of", but most of all it is easy to thread back through intself to make whoopies because it is rectangular not a tight round weave.
Posted by: ETSU Pride

Re: Light Fast Hammock and Tarp Rigging - 04/19/11 04:00 PM

Thanks for posting this information.
Posted by: phat

Re: Light Fast Hammock and Tarp Rigging - 04/22/11 11:23 AM

I hammocked for many years with a speer type with full straps for suspension, I would simply wrap the strap and done with it,

However a full strap is *heavy*.

I got whoopies at the end of last season, I love 'em. I put them on the end
of my WBB blackbird.

I recently got a nano-7 and I have whoopies on the end of it as well.

most people use them with tree straps, I have used the straps from a hennesey with them, but actually then took a truck strap tiedown that I had wrecked the end on and simply sewed myself a few longer straps that were lighter than the hennesy straps.

Re: Light Fast Hammock and Tarp Rigging - 04/22/11 04:50 PM

The lightest "webbing" that I've found is about an inch wide and they use it to strap lumber for delivery. Its a plastic material - light and strong. As for strength and speed, I use 2 light carabiners to join everything up. I could set my hammock up in 2 minutes easily but the tarp might take 15.
Jim

Re: Light Fast Hammock and Tarp Rigging - 04/22/11 06:12 PM

What Length Woopies do you users recomend? I was thinking 6 foot maxlength? I havent comited yet but have the cord to make them?
Posted by: phat

Re: Light Fast Hammock and Tarp Rigging - 04/22/11 11:33 PM

Originally Posted By Kent W
What Length Woopies do you users recomend? I was thinking 6 foot maxlength? I havent comited yet but have the cord to make them?

I got the standard 6 footers. In my experience fine - given the length of stuff I usually have on a hammock and these don't go around trees.
Posted by: lilricky

Re: Light Fast Hammock and Tarp Rigging - 04/26/11 09:28 PM

Some good points in this thread, however, if I may point out a few things. First, you don't want to crank down on your suspension around the tree. Not only will this lead to premature wear on your suspension and hammock, you can also damage the trees' bark. I know, I know, you never killed a tree doing this. Well, because of this practice, Florida state forest rangers have seen the tree damage, and now it is illegal to hang a hammock from trees in state forests. Other states like California and Virginia are now considering similar bans. Another point, using the plastic banding material for tree straps will work, but after two months or so, you will need to replace them, due to the accumulated stress damage and UV deterioration. Much easier and cheaper to use the right material the first time.
Posted by: lori

Re: Light Fast Hammock and Tarp Rigging - 04/26/11 10:06 PM

Originally Posted By lilricky
Some good points in this thread, however, if I may point out a few things. First, you don't want to crank down on your suspension around the tree. Not only will this lead to premature wear on your suspension and hammock, you can also damage the trees' bark. I know, I know, you never killed a tree doing this. Well, because of this practice, Florida state forest rangers have seen the tree damage, and now it is illegal to hang a hammock from trees in state forests. Other states like California and Virginia are now considering similar bans. Another point, using the plastic banding material for tree straps will work, but after two months or so, you will need to replace them, due to the accumulated stress damage and UV deterioration. Much easier and cheaper to use the right material the first time.

I'm trying to figure out who was talking about plastic banding material.

Most of us use polyester or polypro straps. Mine are five years old and counting, have not hit the ground once.

Also, California is not considering anything that is not in the budget. Some state parks don't allow hammocks, but that is nothing new.

Re: Light Fast Hammock and Tarp Rigging - 04/27/11 10:27 AM

I use Polyester tree straps as well. I am considering making some longer ones. Poly webbing is cheap bye the yard at fabric stores. If a person uses straps I cant see where it would damage a tree? I suppose if it was a fragile bark ,like a Paper Birch? I like to think most people would be wise enough to use straps, but apparently not if parks are banning Hammock Use.

Re: Light Fast Hammock and Tarp Rigging - 04/28/11 07:55 PM

Lori
the banding material is used by lumber yards to bundle deliveries. Its really strong and light and presumeabley not too expensive. just order 100 2x4s...
Jim