Doite Zolo - What are your opinions?

Posted by: Paulo

Doite Zolo - What are your opinions? - 04/12/11 08:44 AM

I went out last night to a local outdoor store (in bolivia) and picked up some gear: 2 Altus trekking poles (8.5 oz each) and 2 Doite solid foam sleeping pads (200g each). Got 60% off on everything ($74 all told).

I went to another store and I saw a Doite Zolo 1 person tent. It is quite small and said to weigh 1 KG. The list price was about $110. I could probably get it for less, but the question is, żDo I want to?

Has anyone seen or used one of these? What are your thoughts?
Here is the link and specs.
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Doite Zolo - What are your opinions? - 04/12/11 01:01 PM

Hi Paolo,

I'm sorry that I'm not familiar with the brand (Chilean tents, who knew?) but the Zolo looks interesting for a one-person shelter. It would fit into a small area and should shed winds and rain. It's also quite affordable, at least compared to prices in the States.

My main concern is how much condensation you'd get inside. If I understand, it's a single-wall waterproof tent with vents to let out moisture. In my experience this design works okay in good weather when it's not humid, but in the rain or in cool, humid, and calm weather they can get very wet inside (opening the door will help a lot.

It also neglects to say how much it weighs, although I suspect it's pretty light. Certainly worth considering if it's a good match for your camping conditions. Hopefully somebody can share actual experience.

Cheers,
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Doite Zolo - What are your opinions? - 04/12/11 01:52 PM

I have this tent See link. It looks like a similar design to the one you are talking about. Any experience I share is for the tent I have, and not specifically the tent you link to. I will leave it up to you to determine if the experience I have with my tent will correspond to you.

I have slept in the tent in humid summer Texas and in dry summer Utah. Also in rainy Texas and Utah. It is waterproof. However, even in dry Utah, it doesn't handle condensation very well. If you open it up all the way, there is no problem. But, when it is raining, you have to close it up and the condensation builds up pretty fast.
Posted by: skcreidc

Re: Doite Zolo - What are your opinions? - 04/12/11 02:10 PM

At 1 kg (2.2 lbs) the weight is great. Like the others I would be suspicious about condensation problems. Look at how the Tarptents (upper left of site, great photos) handle the ventilation and compare it to the Zolo. See if the ventilation makes sense to you.

sK
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Doite Zolo - What are your opinions? - 04/13/11 05:37 PM

The little tent that gets around. Check frame 10:
Volcano tested

Cheers,