Hammock

Posted by: ETSU Pride

Hammock - 04/11/11 11:06 PM

I am curious about the ENO hammock system, if you get one of the ENO original or doublenest hammock, does it has a cover for keeping bugs off or do you have to buy the bug screen separate? I saw a guy on the AT this past weekend with one set up with a tarp above it. I thought it was neatest thing, but I didn't notice any flap to cover up the person sleeping in it. With proper tarp, does anyone have any problem getting wet during bad weather? I'd like to rent one for an overnight trip just to see what it's like.
Posted by: lori

Re: Hammock - 04/12/11 12:33 AM

ENO has decent hammocks - not too many ways you can wreck a sheet of nylon, tho some would argue whipping methods matter.

What is not ideal are the straps - they give you nylon, which stretches and keeps stretching. And their tarps aren't exactly ideal. A good rectangular or cat cut tarp like the MacCats, or the Hex tarp Hennessy makes (not the stock tarp) gives you sufficient coverage for stormy weather.

I think ENO has bugnetting, but you could also get a bugnet separately from Warbonnet, or a couple of other cottage gear makers who cater to hammock users. Bugnets are a separate item with ENO hammocks.
Posted by: ringtail

Re: Hammock - 04/12/11 07:02 AM

Go over to the hammock forum and tell them you are curious. Likely a member will give you a test ride.

I am willing to give anyone in the Denver area a test ride in a WarBonnet BlackBird.
Posted by: Joshuatree

Re: Hammock - 04/12/11 10:46 AM

Eno hammocks don't come with a bugnetting or a tarp both have to be bought seperately. From what I've heard and read you don't want to use the stock suspension system because the nylon straps stretch to much. You'll also need some type of insulation if the night time temps get much below 70. A foam sleeping pad works well enough with a regular sleeping bag. There is a learning curve with setting up both the hammock and tarp so if you try one take time to set it up and sleep in it before you go out. If you snoop around over at hammockforums.net you'll see people use them all year round in all weather conditions and you can pick up some good tips.

Posted by: Kent W

Re: Hammock - 04/13/11 07:48 PM

I was on AT Last week too a guy at Silers Bald shelter had a Eno tricked out. Tech nines on the fly cords,Black sil cat tarp etc. He had a bug net but didnt need it that night. My son Has a Eno as well. The eno requires alot of accessorys. Bye the time ya buy a light sil tarp and a bug net etc. etc. I think you have more than the cost of a Hennessy, which i have. I am very happy with my Hennessy!
Posted by: ETSU Pride

Re: Hammock - 04/13/11 10:34 PM

Originally Posted By Kent W
I was on AT Last week too a guy at Silers Bald shelter had a Eno tricked out. Tech nines on the fly cords,Black sil cat tarp etc. He had a bug net but didnt need it that night. My son Has a Eno as well. The eno requires alot of accessorys. Bye the time ya buy a light sil tarp and a bug net etc. etc. I think you have more than the cost of a Hennessy, which i have. I am very happy with my Hennessy!

Silers Bald? You were in the Smoky Mountain? I live near it. haha.
Posted by: GDeadphans

Re: Hammock - 04/19/11 10:00 AM

Originally Posted By Kent W
The eno requires alot of accessorys. Bye the time ya buy a light sil tarp and a bug net etc. etc. I think you have more than the cost of a Hennessy, which i have. I am very happy with my Hennessy!

My thoughts on the matter as well.