Bug Shelter Advice

Posted by: DBsport

Bug Shelter Advice - 04/02/11 11:18 PM

I'm looking at purchasing a bug shelter / net-tent.
I read many favorable things about MLD's Serenity Shelter and was set to order, but the turn-around time is around 6 weeks.
In lieu of that, I found several other options.

I'd like to hear pros and cons on the following choices:

1.) GoLite Shangri-La 1 Nest
2.) Six Moon Designs Serenity NetTent
3.) Bearpaw Wilderness Designs PyraNet 1
4.) Alpinlite Gear Bug Shelter 1.25

This shelter will be used alone, or with my 8 x 10 silnylon tarp.

Thanks!
Posted by: BrianLe

Re: Bug Shelter Advice - 04/03/11 02:20 AM

I have the SMD net tent, which is designed to connect into my Gatewood cape.

It's a bit tight inside the net tent, and unless laying down it can be tough to not have the mesh right against you, leaving the possibility of being bitten through the mesh, particularly at your head and shoulders (note in the pictures how it comes up to a point). You have little to no room for anything inside there but just your body, so with almost all of your gear outside the net tent, you could find yourself opening up the door periodically to access and generally deal with stuff.

So I personally wish it were a bit more roomy inside, but it's a typical kind of trade-off --- less spacious and comfortable, but lighter as a result.

I have no knowledge or experience with the other shelters, except for the MLD one (that you were going to order). If I recall correctly, a person can't even fully sit upright in that one (?) --- definitely a factor to consider.
Posted by: orclwzrd

Re: Bug Shelter Advice - 04/04/11 11:21 PM

I'm looking to pick up a shangri-la 1 nest. It seems the perfect thing to put under a tarp to keep the critters out. After my wrestling match with the tick in Southern Ill last spring, I'm all for keeping the bugs away!

I'm curious about feedback as well.

John