Looking for a good two person tent around $150.

Posted by: DamonMBarnes

Looking for a good two person tent around $150. - 03/29/11 09:36 PM

I've been researching and I am looking to purchase my first backpacking tent. I will need a two person tent and would like to get fairly light within my price range. I am looking at a Kelty Salida 2 right now but am open to all suggestions about other tents and/or comments on my favorite right now.

I will only need a three season tent and will primarily be hiking in Kentucky, southern Indiana, and Tennessee.
Posted by: orclwzrd

Re: Looking for a good two person tent around $150. - 03/29/11 11:15 PM

alps mountaineering has a decent two man that's not terribly heavy. It could never be called ultralight but I found it a decent starting place.

John
Posted by: Wilderness70

Re: Looking for a good two person tent around $150. - 03/30/11 04:30 AM

I currently use the Kelty Gunnison 2.0 as my primary solo and double tent, although at 4 lbs 14 oz it's heavier than most people on the board would like. As a tent I love it. The only differences I see between that and the one you're looking at are more polyester in lieu of mesh walls, 7 square feet more floor space, and two doors.

Two people will fit in the Gunnison as long as they are very comfortable with each other, and I think that applies to most 2 person tents.
Posted by: BZH

Re: Looking for a good two person tent around $150. - 03/30/11 11:50 AM

I don't have any direct knowledge... but this seems like a pretty good tent that meets your specs:

http://www.rei.com/product/814618

If you stretch a little bit farther... this is a great tent:

http://www.rei.com/product/767268

(of course if you stretch a little bit farther you could get a tarptent)
Posted by: sjohnny

Re: Looking for a good two person tent around $150. - 03/31/11 08:11 AM

I recently got a Mountainsmith Morrison tent. I haven't had the chance to actually take it out yet but I set it up in my backyard for a little while and checked it out and let the kids play in it. It looks to be a pretty good tent and I paid less than $130 shipped from e-bags.com (the link over on the left side of this page).

Here's where I posted when I got it
Posted by: DamonMBarnes

Re: Looking for a good two person tent around $150. - 03/31/11 11:13 AM

Originally Posted By sjohnny
I recently got a Mountainsmith Morrison tent. I haven't had the chance to actually take it out yet but I set it up in my backyard for a little while and checked it out and let the kids play in it. It looks to be a pretty good tent and I paid less than $130 shipped from e-bags.com (the link over on the left side of this page).

Here's where I posted when I got it
Thank you for the information. The two main contenders right now for me are a Kelty Salida 2 or a REI Quarter Dome UL (obviously a little out of my stated $$$ range). I probably can't get a tent until next Friday when I'm paid so I still have time to think. Is there any certain reasons you'd prefer your MS over either one of those?
Posted by: sjohnny

Re: Looking for a good two person tent around $150. - 03/31/11 11:23 AM

Length basically. The MS doesn't seem to weigh a whole lot more than either of those tents and it has two doors where the Kelty only has one. I'm 6'4" so I had put a minimum length of 90" on any tent I would consider. If I were shorter there were loads more options. I was strongly considering the REI Quarter Dome T2 Plus and was going to wait until I could save up the $300 but then I found the MS and decided that was the tent for me. I can comfortably fit me, my two kids, and our gear in this tent. I think I can also fit my dog. Anything substantially lighter that still met my criteria was a whole lot more expensive. I really liked the specs on the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL3 but $450 was too steep.
Posted by: thecook

Re: Looking for a good two person tent around $150. - 03/31/11 12:00 PM

REI outlet has the REI Quarter Dome UL for $189.93, the Alps Mountaineering Mystique for 129.93, the Alps M. Chaos 2 for 159.93 and the Asolo Velocity for 149.93. Also check out Sierra Trading Post.
Posted by: Steadman

Re: Looking for a good two person tent around $150. - 03/31/11 02:29 PM

I did a quick sort on the Campmor website under the two person backpacking tents:

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/ProductComparisonView?storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1&categoryId=200368487&breadCrumbs=%7c%7c

You've got a lot of options. The link (which may take a minute to load) is only the beginning. Recommend playing around with this a bit.

Depending on your cost/weight parameters you can do very well for under $150, and then save to upgrade later if you desire.

Please seam seal any Eureka product you buy, or you'll be sorry.
Posted by: watertones

Re: Looking for a good two person tent around $150. - 04/03/11 02:11 PM

My favorite 2 man right now is my Eureka Apex 2XT. It's a bit heavier than some, but you get a ton of room with the double vestibules for gear/shoes, which is much appreciated when there is 2 people and a dog. The ventilation of the tent is awesome. I live in MN, but even in the summer I don't get as hot in this tent as I do with my rei half dome. I have a model from a few years ago. The 2011 model is pretty much the same accept the color and for some reason it's a pound heavier this year. Look at amazon or sunnysports for the older model and you'll save weight (especially if you trade out the stakes).
Posted by: k smith

Re: Looking for a good two person tent around $150. - 04/20/11 08:13 PM

just noticed amazon.com has the ms morrison for $119 shipped if anyone wants a good deal on one they look great and i for one have had great luck with ms gear im sure it won t dissapoint

k smith
Posted by: Mudflap

Re: Looking for a good two person tent around $150. - 04/25/11 12:18 PM

U may want to look into Tarp Tents. Not sure what they have in your price range. I have a Squall 2 and I love it. It was $230 but they have many other two person tents u can check out. It's definently light weight and very quick and simple to set up. Does well in any condition/season.