Cuben fiber dry bag as a pillow?

Posted by: Trailrunner

Cuben fiber dry bag as a pillow? - 02/23/11 07:55 PM

I'm talking about a fabric. Not cigar tobacco from an island nation blush

One luxury item I really enjoy is my Montbell inflatable pillow. Comfortable and light, but it serves no other purpose. Recently I have stumbled upon cuben fiber drybags like this one and similar. I was thinking that bonded seams, a non porous fabric and a tightly rolled closure may allow such bags to hold air all night. One of these could keep my sleeping bag dry and possibly allow me to leave the Montbell pillow at home.

Has anyone tried this? Yes, I realize that what amounts to a plastic bag filled with air is not the most comfortable pillow and I may be giving up a little comfort over the Montbell but I love the dual use idea.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Cuben fiber dry bag as a pillow? - 02/23/11 09:14 PM

I haven't found the dry bag closure to be 100% airtight. You'd have to re-inflate a couple of times per night.

Kooka Bay makes an inflatable pillow that is less than an ounce. I got some for my son and the grandkids.
Posted by: phat

Re: Cuben fiber dry bag as a pillow? - 02/23/11 11:37 PM

It's nowhere near as cool as a cuben fibre dry bag, but me I just use a large size ziploc freezer bag inflated, sealed up and stuffed into a shirt or fleece. it also acts as a dry bag for some of my clothing..

Posted by: Trailrunner

Re: Cuben fiber dry bag as a pillow? - 02/24/11 12:54 AM

I didn't know Ziplocs held air that well. I might have to try that one!!
Posted by: phat

Re: Cuben fiber dry bag as a pillow? - 02/24/11 08:41 PM

the freezer bag ones do - as long as it's just your head..
Posted by: CamperMom

Re: Cuben fiber dry bag as a pillow? - 02/25/11 10:16 AM

Mylar balloons also work. Inflate/deflate with a straw. One huge drawback is that they are NOISY.

CamperMom