Eaglesnest Outfitters Hammock upgrade.....

Posted by: stipper09

Eaglesnest Outfitters Hammock upgrade..... - 01/10/11 08:23 AM

I recently received the ENO doublenest for a gift and love it. The carabiners that it came with appear to be steel. Has anyone switched those to a aluminum screwlock carabiner? Of course with affecting the weight capacity. Any help would be greatly apprciated.
Posted by: oldranger

Re: Eaglesnest Outfitters Hammock upgrade..... - 01/10/11 09:52 AM

I am not familiar with this hammock or the carabiners supplied with it, but, in general, if I get an item with non-climbing biners, I substitute climbing grade items, usually as light as possible - might as well have multi-purpose gear.

Outside of a few specialized fire and rescue biners, nobody makes steel biners anymore. I would think that aluminum would be just fine. I don't see why they would even have to be locking.

The whole concept of non-climbing biners appalls me, because sooner or later they are going to get used where they shouldn't, and bad things will happen.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Eaglesnest Outfitters Hammock upgrade..... - 01/10/11 10:30 AM

You can use the cheap wire gate aluminum climbing biners for your hammock. They don't need to be locking.
Posted by: lori

Re: Eaglesnest Outfitters Hammock upgrade..... - 01/10/11 11:23 AM

A lot of folks with an ENO swap out the suspension in its entirety, and there are a lot of options that don't require biners at all. If you have difficulties with the stock straps stretching a lot, you may want to do that. (I believe Slapstraps are nylon, which never stops stretching.)

You can find all of them at hammockforums.net. Plus more about camping with hammocks than you'd thought possible.

Re: Eaglesnest Outfitters Hammock upgrade..... - 01/10/11 11:59 AM

Great info thank you.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Eaglesnest Outfitters Hammock upgrade..... - 01/10/11 01:13 PM

I agree with lori. A friend of mine has an ENO with the slap straps. They stretch. I don't like the slap straps because they stretch and you have limited adjustment options.

Re: Eaglesnest Outfitters Hammock upgrade..... - 01/11/11 03:12 PM

Hey,

FYI, Just an update..ENO responded to my email and the carabiners supplied with the doublenest hammock are steel, if anyone would like this info. Also I have the Pro slap straps and will elimnating the steel biners...