Hammock with Bug Net

Posted by: Mike1239

Hammock with Bug Net - 08/02/10 06:13 PM

Needed a tent, went in and found a hammock with a bug net built in. Thought I would post it as I didn't realize these were available and perhaps others don't as well. With a tarp you'd be protected from rain and bugs.

The advantages are that you don't need flat ground to pitch it, just two trees. So if you get a late start and haven't made it to the lake yet, better chance of finding a campsite on a steep slope..

Also probably a bit cooler, since you are off the ground.

The disadvantages are the same. You need two trees and it is cooler. Not so good above timberline, perhaps, and in winter.

Seems quite light, so with a tarp might still be lighter than many tents. Can set it up on ground if you run lines through the bug net to keep it off you. Need trees or perhaps stakes, though, to tie bug net cord to.
Posted by: ringtail

Re: Hammock with Bug Net - 08/02/10 06:41 PM

Mike,

More information on hammock can be found at:

http://www.hammockforums.net/

There are several discussion on the forum that produce passsionate replies:

Tent v hammocks,
Boots v. trail runners,
Filters v. chemicals,
Alcohol stoves v. the others.

Welcome to the dark side. Soon you will be talking BlackBirds and CrowsNest.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Hammock with Bug Net - 08/04/10 01:47 PM

Oh no, now you have done it. The can is open, the flood gates are let loose.

Originally Posted By Mike1239

The advantages are that you don't need flat ground to pitch it, just two trees. So if you get a late start and haven't made it to the lake yet, better chance of finding a campsite on a steep slope..

yeah, good reason. Here is mine on a slope.

Posted by: phat

Re: Hammock with Bug Net - 08/04/10 04:59 PM

Originally Posted By Mike1239
I didn't realize these were available and perhaps others don't as well.

Lots of us are card carrying hammock mafia members wink

Quote:

Also probably a bit cooler, since you are off the ground.

Yes, but workable with the right insulation underneath you:

I've slept comfortably in a hammock down to an outside temperature of -18C. (Although I typically go to ground if I expect that or colder)

Quote:

Seems quite light, so with a tarp might still be lighter than many tents. Can set it up on ground if you run lines through the bug net to keep it off you. Need trees or perhaps stakes, though, to tie bug net cord to.

The rule is simple. Hammocks are comfortable for many people - however you can always sacrifice some of that comfort to go lighter - delete hammock, sleep under tarp - there, you are lighter. It is all about tradeoffs.

I hammock on most of my trips outside of winter. I don't hammock in deep winter up here, and I don't hammock if I'm going to be doing a lot of stuff basically way up in the alpine with no trees - I use a solo tent for those kinds of trips.