Seam sealing Scarp 1

Posted by: dash4689

Seam sealing Scarp 1 - 07/31/10 03:16 PM

I just love my TarpTent Scarp 1, but I'm having a problem sealing the outer fly. (But none of the water permieates the inner tent!)

The problem is with the "patches" that hold the connectors to the optional poles and tie-downs. I have applied two coats of sealant recommended by Tarp-Tent (GE Silicone II clear sealer/glue) to the outside as per the instructions. Yet they leak trough to the inner tent.

The seams all sealed well, I just have a problem with the "patches". Any suggestions?
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Seam sealing Scarp 1 - 07/31/10 05:32 PM

email or phone Henry Shires at Tarptent!
Posted by: Franco

Re: Seam sealing Scarp 1 - 07/31/10 07:26 PM

Never noticed that on mine, either the Scarp or the Moment. I do apply seam sealer (diluted) twice .
This is how I do mine :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYjOkxR4sgc&feature
TT raccomends using a sponge brush, I still use a standard paint brush but for seams in particular the sponge should be easier.
Keep in mind anyway that the inner (the fabric version...) is water resistant.
This is the inner holding 2 liters of water :

(does not sip through even touching it)
Franco
Posted by: DJ2

Re: Seam sealing Scarp 1 - 08/01/10 03:49 PM

Perhaps applying some additional seam sealer to the underside of those pieces would help?

If I never planned on using them I'd considerremoving them if it looks like the stitching can be removed without damaging the fabric.

An eyebrow of silicone above the patches might defer some of the water coming from higher on the fly and reduce the problem somewhat.

Posted by: ohiohiker

Re: Seam sealing Scarp 1 - 08/02/10 01:09 PM

I seam sealed my Scarp 2 patches from the inside, but haven't tested it yet. They look difficult to seal by coating the outside.