TarpTent Moment question

Posted by: wandering_daisy

TarpTent Moment question - 07/23/10 03:16 PM

I cannot figure out how to keep the top vents open. Are the clips on the inside to be used for this? I tried clipping them together but they are not tight enough to keep the vent open. The vent support bar stays open, but the velcro closure is several inches up towards the top and that area has very minimal space. The velcro is SO sticky that the vents unintentionally close a lot when the wind blows.
Posted by: Franco

Re: TarpTent Moment question - 07/23/10 09:41 PM

Hi WD
Because I am stuck at home (long story) my experience with the Moment so far has been fiddling with it in my backyard and my bedroom.
Right now my Moment is in Vancouver ready to go on a sea kayaking trip with my mate Yair and Toui (Remy the rat...)

I found out that if you angle the ends a bit more downwards as per this drawing

rather than as they appear on many pics, it works better.
Failing that , since there is a Velcro strip there, I would make a little stick about 2-3" long with Velcro cups and put that in there to keep it open.

This one is a piece of cardboard wrapped in clear tape (waterproofing...) and with a strip of gaffa tape reversed at each end.
Made that for another tent.

Franco
Posted by: CWF

Re: TarpTent Moment question - 07/23/10 11:04 PM

I've been really disappointed with my Moment. I too can't keep the vents open naturally without fitting in a stint (why should I have to do this? It is a design flaw) and when I do fit in the stint, the vents are not large enough to help manage condensation effectively.
Posted by: hshires

Re: TarpTent Moment question - 07/24/10 11:51 AM

Sounds like maybe the interior elastic with clips is too long and/or not in use? The two vent openings need to forced inward and down using the clips. Try shortening the elastic--tie a knot in the elastic--and see if that doesn't help. Call/email me if you're still having trouble.

-H

Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: TarpTent Moment question - 07/24/10 07:47 PM

I would like to echo Henry's comment--if you're having trouble with one of his tents, contact him! I've done this several times and have always gotten a prompt and excellent response!
Posted by: Canyonero

Re: TarpTent Moment question - 07/24/10 10:35 PM

Nice to see this thread along with the response and photo from Henry, as I'm waiting for delivery of my Moment. Given everything I've read about the TarpTents, I expect if something doesn't work right, it's because I'm doing something wrong.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: TarpTent Moment question - 07/27/10 01:13 PM

Franco, watch out for the orcas. They like to tip people over.
Posted by: Franco

Re: TarpTent Moment question - 07/27/10 08:28 PM

Hi
No I am not there, my mate Yair is (I can't swim...)
the "Me" in the picture is Toui, the Rat.He goes with Yair in his adventures.
He (Toui) now has a custom made eVent jacket...

Yair practiced falling into the water and getting back on his kayak here in the bay before he left.
Neither him nor myself take life or ourselves all that seriously. we are both 55...
Franco
He has just landed here :
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=52.74612,-131.70914&ll=52.74612,-131.70914&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1
(Spot message)
Posted by: GDeadphans

Re: TarpTent Moment question - 07/27/10 08:33 PM

Yair is a mighty good lookin' mouse.

I went to that link, and wow. I want to be there now. Are you really there right now? Do you have a lap top with satellite internet card or something?

Re: TarpTent Moment question - 07/28/10 12:28 AM

Not sure that there isn't a bit of a design flaw in the vents.

backpackinglight.com just did a review and while I have some issue as to how it was done, the #1 complaint was managing condensation.

Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: TarpTent Moment question - 07/28/10 01:29 AM

I would question that review. It was based on 5 nights in the tent, part of them in deep river valleys where condensation in any tent would be horrendous. I can't agree or disagree with the review because I'm not familiar with the Moment, but IMHO the article was an unorganized compendium of hastily formed personal opinions (such as that it wouldn't work in high winds when the reviewer hadn't even tried it under those conditions) that was definitely not up to BPL review standards. At least I hope it wasn't, because I would never make a decision one way or another about a purchase based on such a poorly written review.

Re: TarpTent Moment question - 07/28/10 10:33 AM

Well, I have had over 20 nights and would concur with the most of the findings. But I agree - poorly written and organized.
Posted by: 300winmag

Re: TarpTent Moment question - 07/28/10 12:47 PM

I've cut some Velcro strips to fit the canopy side of the top vent closure. The strips preclude he inevetable sticking together of the vent Velcro when the Moment is packed.