trekking poles

Posted by: Jake28

trekking poles - 06/15/10 11:10 PM

i got to use my trekking poles on a longer trip than an overnighter finally, and by halfway through the second day my elbows were killing me. i had been using them the entire trip giving my elbows no rest but it was so helpful. is this common or am i doing something wrong? thanks!
Posted by: lori

Re: trekking poles - 06/15/10 11:28 PM

Are you setting the poles at a length that puts your elbows at a ninety degree angle?

I have had a little soreness in the arms after a trip full of steep hills, but no elbow pain.
Posted by: Jacobman

Re: trekking poles - 06/16/10 01:01 AM

I just went on my first backpacking trip which was 4 days long, absolutely had a blast. But as to your question I did use a trekking pole and had my elbow at about 90 degrees and had no pain throughout the trip.
Posted by: Wolfeye

Re: trekking poles - 06/16/10 01:03 AM

I started using one pole myself over a year ago, and I found I had to experiment with different lengths until I got it right. I'd say some initial discomfort is common. Plus, you're making your body do something it's not used to yet; I get the same thing when I try new martial arts moves, and the body gets used to it through good technique and training.
Posted by: BarryP

Re: trekking poles - 06/16/10 08:40 AM

“…and by halfway through the second day my elbows were killing me.”
“…is this common”

It is not common with lightweight poles. Also, forearm fatigue is not common with lightweight poles (though you didn’t mention it, I just thought I would throw that into there).

I’ve enjoyed my 2.4oz poles from GG: http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/Lightrek3_Trekking_Poles.html

-Barry
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: trekking poles - 06/16/10 01:08 PM

Helpful info on how to use and adjust them on this site.
Posted by: CWF

Re: trekking poles - 06/18/10 03:14 PM

There have been some pole failures with those GG poles recently posted on BPL.com. I would avoid them if you are over 200 lbs.

With respect to elbows hurting, you may have the poles extended too high. One issue I have found with poles and 40 mile days - soreness in the traps and shoulders.
Posted by: Jake28

Re: trekking poles - 06/19/10 08:17 PM

thanks everyone. im thinking that the problem is the height at which i have the poles set when i go.

ill try lowering them based on the advice from previously listed websites.

jake
Posted by: scoutrufus

Re: trekking poles - 06/20/10 08:22 AM

I use hiking staffs. I had access to a doweling machine, and the staffs I ended up with were 1 1/16 diameter, and 5' long.
At no time are my forearms below 'horizontal' with the trail, and most of the time they are slightly up, allowing some continuous tension on the muscle group.
These also allow me to slip the poles through my hands for the poles to rest on a lower surface than the one I am walking on, like I would be alongside a wash. I believe this is more advantageous than leaning over using trekking poles/

They are not, however, collapsible.
Posted by: aimless

Re: trekking poles - 06/20/10 02:49 PM

Pictures?