Shoe question.

Posted by: wandering_daisy

Shoe question. - 06/14/10 04:34 PM

I am now wearing Merrell low-cut Radius shoes - they fit very well but are no longer made. Are the "Radland" shoes the new version? Does anyone have experience with the "Radland"? My feet are very hard to fit so I would rather stick with Merrell. I also cannot tolerate a boot or mid-cut (sensitive ankle problem) -- it has to be low cut. It does not matter to me if they are waterproof or not.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Shoe question. - 06/14/10 10:35 PM

All I can do is share your frustration, thanks to the demise of the old Montrail Hardrock. Talk about a shoe that fits and supports my foot perfectly, giving far more support and comfort than a boot! Here's what I should have done!

First of all, get online now and google your make/model of shoe. No big deal buying them off the internet if they're the same model [EDIT--and size!] you're wearing. If you're lucky, you might find some on closeout in your size. I was able to get another pair of '07 Hardrocks that way. If you find some of your Merrell Radius, buy as many pair as you can afford! They'll probably be marked down, which will help.

Second, start looking for a replacement shoe. I haven't yet found one for me, although with that new pair of Hardrocks on hand and the old ones still good I'm not in a hurry. But I know it's going to take time! I cannot wear men's shoes (have an extremely narrow heel), so that is out. Not only are there far fewer women's trail shoes/trail runners available, but most stores carry far fewer women's models. You might do better at a good running shoe store than at REI.

Third, once you find a pair that works (after a good long trial on the trail), buy up as many pair as you can possibly afford. The model will undoubtedly change next year!
Posted by: Ecrow

Re: Shoe question. - 06/20/10 08:13 PM

Not an exact answer, but upon buying the new Moab Ventilators that I usually wear, I have found that they run a full size small and also have a poor heel/ arch bump.
Posted by: wandering_daisy

Re: Shoe question. - 06/20/10 10:04 PM

Do you think that Merrell shoe sizing or lasts have changed since the company merged with New Balance?