Teepee Style Shelters

Posted by: bigsac

Teepee Style Shelters - 06/08/10 03:29 PM

Just wondering if any of you use teepee style shelters such as the GoLite Shangri-La 3 or something similar. How wind resistant are they? The American Plains Indians used this design for hundreds of years in the most windy of environments, although their teepees had more internal structure than backpacking teepee shelters. To be more specific, would there be much shelter material deflection in a steady 30mph wind? It seems to me that pitching direction would not be a big issue unless the door was pitched into the wind creating an air scoop. This design should be an advantage in swirling winds. I suppose a big disadvantage would be the pole right in the center. I've never used this type of shelter, but I've seem a few in the back country
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Teepee Style Shelters - 06/08/10 04:43 PM

Haven't used them, but I've read posts from a number of people who use the Mountain Laurel Designs or Oware Mids and find that they are very wind resistant. I did use a Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo, also pyramidal, for a year. It was very wind resistant but was too small for my dog and me and had a lot of condensation inside.

They also have their problems. I haven't yet found a bug bivy big enough for both me and my dog that, in conjunction with a mid, would be lighter than my current tent or provide as much bug-free space.
Posted by: ChrisFol

Re: Teepee Style Shelters - 06/08/10 05:10 PM

Originally Posted By bigsac
Just wondering if any of you use teepee style shelters such as the GoLite Shangri-La 3 or something similar. How wind resistant are they? The American Plains Indians used this design for hundreds of years in the most windy of environments, although their teepees had more internal structure than backpacking teepee shelters. To be more specific, would there be much shelter material deflection in a steady 30mph wind? It seems to me that pitching direction would not be a big issue unless the door was pitched into the wind creating an air scoop. This design should be an advantage in swirling winds. I suppose a big disadvantage would be the pole right in the center. I've never used this type of shelter, but I've seem a few in the back country

MLD's SoloMid is my go-to shelter for my winter backpacking here in Colorado. They are an excellent design for shedding both wind and snow. FWIW, I also believe that Andrew Skurka is currently using a similar style shelter for his artic Alaskan trip.
Posted by: Jimshaw

Re: Teepee Style Shelters - 06/08/10 05:38 PM

they shake in the wind and the low angle sides means a huge amount of wasted room inside. In heavy snow they collapse from the outside edge inward as the snow weight piles on. Weight wise they are not the best use of material. Few have decent ventilation.
Jim
Posted by: Trailrunner

Re: Teepee Style Shelters - 06/08/10 08:45 PM

I had a Golite Hex 3 (very similar to Shangri-la) for several years. It does well in the wind although there is a draft at the bottom. But any floorless tarp shelter will have that problem.
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Teepee Style Shelters - 06/08/10 11:23 PM

I've used my Golite Hex2 in pretty heavy winds and so long as I use all the guy points it handles it pretty well. I'll estimate a steady 25-30mph with stronger gusts, but that's just a guess.

Cheers,
Posted by: wandering_daisy

Re: Teepee Style Shelters - 06/10/10 08:31 PM

The National Outdoor Leadership School uses these shelters in the Wind River Mountains (Black Diamond Mega-Mid). In my opinion, they best for 3-4 people. The per-person weight is light when the weight is shared. The larger ones have a sturdy center pole and you can actually stand up in them. Because even one person needs a certain length, you end up with a shelter that is larger and heavier than needed if you solo. The smaller ones that set up with a center trekking pole do not seem to be very practical in my opinion. Set up properly Tee-pee tents are very wind-worthy. Most have inner bug-liners that can be added when needed. As for "wasted space" you can use the edge space for your packs, so all gear can be inside. If there is not enough top ventilation and if you set it up too low to the ground, these shelters can get lots of condensation.
Posted by: rionada

Re: Teepee Style Shelters - 06/11/10 12:02 PM

I owned a Hex for a short time. It's not a bad shelter, but as others have pointed out it's difficult to ventilate. It's particularly difficult in the rain. Because of the pyramid shape any amount that you leave the door open is the amount that the rain will come in.

I now use an Alps Vertex 4 (for family backpacking). It weighs a little under 8 pounds (slightly modified) but easily sleeps 4, it's free standing, and great in all weather conditions. Plus they can be had for about $175. I've had mine in wind, rain, and snow, in heat and cold - it performed well under all conditions.

rionada
Posted by: CWF

Re: Teepee Style Shelters - 06/25/10 03:04 PM

The Mountain Laurel Design Mid designs have midpoint tieouts on the flat panels, maximizing venitilation, preventing sag, and holding up well to snow.
Posted by: idahosteve

Re: Teepee Style Shelters - 06/25/10 03:43 PM

I've used them extensivley for over 15 years, in all seasons, and in all conditions. Overall they are outstanding. But new technology has caught up and passed them. The big plus was space for weight. The original BD meg mids were first, but their walls were tough, harsh slant, but lightweight. The best was the MH Kiva. Three or 4 people at 4 lbs, using our old avy poles as trekking poles and center pole. Huge amount of space, 5 sided made for great headroom and open space inside, good ventilation. Couple of space blankets for the floor. Extra tie downs outside, with a lip that could be tucked into the snow to really seal the bottom. It was a great shelter. Even in the wind, the 5 sides made a huge difference. Alas, now with the new tents, its possible to beat the weight, have a floor, and have bug protection. I miss being able to cook inside though. Teepees work, but like everything, they have a season, and it might have passed...
Posted by: CWF

Re: Teepee Style Shelters - 06/25/10 08:33 PM

You can get an MLD Mid / TeePee for 3-4 people that weighs 20oz without floor. Add a floor or inner net with floor and you are around 2.5lbs. I would say pyramids are coming back with a vengence. Andrew Skurka is using a solo version for his 4700 mile traverse of Alaska.

www.mountainlaureldesigns.com
Posted by: chimpac

Re: Teepee Style Shelters - 06/27/10 10:20 AM

Here are some reasons I like the tunnel shape over the teepee

A tunnel shape makes better use of the tarp or tent fabric for head and shoulder space than the teepee.

When using inside heat the warm air is closer in a tunnel shape,the teepee peak traps hot air that does not radiate down on the bodies in the tent.

The chimney does not have to be as long with a tunnel shape.

It is better if the stove jack in the center of the tent is as flat as possibe.
The tunnel shape is just as good or better in wind than the teepee
Posted by: idahosteve

Re: Teepee Style Shelters - 06/28/10 12:22 AM

Wow! Thanks for the link! I was not aware that MLD had done that. It looks very similar to my old ones, and I like the elongation to give some headroom. The smaller version, with a bug net would be an awesome shelter for one, or two.